• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tricksterdude
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Nov 2016

Evohome Opentherm Bridge Binding issue.

Hi, I've just had an Intergas Eco RF 36 installed. I 'm trying to connect my evohome to it via an Opentherm bridge. I've connected the bridge to terminals 11 and 12 on the boiler but I can't get the bridge to bind with my Evohome. I keep getting 1 red light followed by 3 green. I've reset the bridge using the 15 seconds then 5 seconds press with the button but it still won't connect. The weird thing with the evohome is that if I try to connect to a BDR91 relay that I had on my old boiler it keeps saying the binding has been successful when its impossible for it to connect to it as its lying in a box with no power going to it. I keep getting a binding successful message whenever I try to connect the Opentherm Bridge as well. I've factory reset the Evohome and also removed the batteries for half an hour but its still doing the same. Is the Evohome faulty? The model is ATC928G3000.
  • Billywizzo
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Nov 2020

Just checking you have set the evohome system devices option to appliance control opentherm bridge option.

Comment

• Tricksterdude
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Nov 2016

That's what I'm trying to do. I go through the process and then hit bind and the evohome says the bind signal was received properly. Thing is,.I've disconnected the bridge from the boiler, there's no power going to it , yet the evohome is telling me it's receiving a signal from it. It also does the same with my old BDR91 which has been completely disconnected from the old boiler and is in a box downstairs.

Comment

• Billywizzo
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Nov 2020

I am not sure my evohome tells me it is receiving a signal from it. I am sure it just said it had binded to the R8810 receiver and the receiver just started to flash green slowly.
        It could be a faulty opentherm receiver, might be worth checking with who you bought it from.
        Have you checked if it is controlling the boiler once it says binded, if not try reconnecting the old relay and check if that controls the boiler once setup to check the evohome controller is working correctly

Comment

• Tricksterdude
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Billywizzo View Post
          I am not sure my evohome tells me it is receiving a signal from it. I am sure it just said it had binded to the R8810 receiver.
          If it binded to it then it's basically received a signal and they've talked to one another. The Evohome unit is telling me just now that its connected to an opentherm bridge.. its not.. the bridge is in the box. I'll try the BDR91 later.

Comment

• Billywizzo
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Nov 2020

If it does connect, it will still say opentherm in the options until you change it. When I setup mine I connected the opentherm bridge to the boiler and when I setup the evohome controller it was still saying BRD91 bridge until I changed it and binded the opentherm bridge.

Comment

• G4RHL
              Automated Home Legend
              • Jan 2015

Do make sure that (a) you have deleted the reference to the old BDR91 and (b) in the Control Panel have selected OpenTherm as your option. Provided the OpenTherm Bridge is connected to the right terminals in the boiler it will receive about 24volts from the boiler. A complete wipe of the OT Bridge and then pair afresh should do the trick. In my case the OT Bridge is connected to terminals 1 & 2 in block X13 but it may be different for your boiler. Mine is an Xclusive 36. The OT bridge flashes green when it receives signals to operate the boiler. Make sure the Bridge is not alongside the boiler. The usual recommendation of a minimum 30cm applies. In my case I put the OT Bridge high up on a wall opposite and 2 metres from the boiler, chasing in the cable.

Comment

• Billywizzo
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Nov 2020

Just looking at the manual for your boiler, you have removed the connector between terminals 6-7 as well as connecting the opentherm to terminals 11 and 12.
                And like G4RHL says, once connected a wipe of the bridge and then binding to the evohome controller is all the should be needed.
                My bridge just flashes a green light slowly all the time, so unlike the BDR91 the had the light solid green when it was turned on by the evohome controller, the green light does not change to show when the evohome is sending it a signal to turn on the boiler.

Comment

• Tricksterdude
                  Automated Home Lurker
                  • Nov 2016

There is no connector between 6 and 7, it's the first thing I checked before I connected the bridge. I also did a factory reset of the evohome unit to wipe it and do a fresh install. My cable is 2m long.

Comment

• Billywizzo
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Nov 2020

No idea then sorry. I just connected my bridge to the boiler and set the evohome to opentherm and then did the binding.
                    Might be worth emailing Honeywell about it, they were good when I emailed about an issue I was having with a ghost zone.

Comment

• G4RHL
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Billywizzo View Post
                      No idea then sorry. I just connected my bridge to the boiler and set the evohome to opentherm and then did the binding.
                      Might be worth emailing Honeywell about it, they were good when I emailed about an issue I was having with a ghost zone.
                      A thought. Is your Honeywell OpenTherm Bridge compatible with the ECO range? I know it is with the Xclusive range for Intergas designed the OT connection with that in mind. It is not clear from the wiring diagram for the ECO whether there is any power coming out of 11 or 12. I assume there must be as you would not have seen the bridge light up when you paired it.

Comment

• paulockenden
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Apr 2015

Honeywell OpenTherm Bridge works fine with this model boiler.

P.

Comment

• G4RHL
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Jan 2015

That’s one possible problem out of the way!

My new Intergas is working fine. Domestic Hot Water is OK now I have reduced the mains water pressure to below 3 bar. I note Worcester Bosch are happy with 10 bar. I have reduced the maximum power for CH down to 6.4kW.

What is also nice is that I don’t get messages in my Evohome fault log to tell me contact has been lost with my hot water sensor. I do get them if I take the Panel off the wall mount for more than 5 minutes to tell me power is down.

Comment

• Tricksterdude
                            Automated Home Lurker
                            • Nov 2016

Got it sorted. I had to do a full reset of the RF unit on the boiler. Turned out the guy who installed it had tried to connect the evohome to the boilers built in RF unit even although he had been specifically asked not to do anything with the thermostat side of things. They were connected but they're not designed to work together. Once I reset the RF unit the Evohome and the Opentherm Bridge connected on the first attempt.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Comment

• Billywizzo
                              Automated Home Jr Member
                              • Nov 2020

Glad you managed to sort it out

Comment

Working...
                              X