Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Getting started with the SSM(R) instead of an HGI80

Automated Home Legend

The reason I've gotten into the habit of quoting Baud rates is because its relevant for the HGI80, the NanoCUL, RfBee, CUL etc. So it's a habit.
    The NanoCUL should be set to lower Baud rate because it can't keep up with 115200.

Automated Home Guru

Got mine today and plugged it in to a Windows 10 system. Downloaded and installed Domoticz. It runs and I get the dashboard but nothing is showing under 'hardware' in the setup screen. Log grumbles about missing Python but this is for plugins. No one so far has mentioned Python - is it required?

Automated Home Legend

Python might be a Domoticz requirement, it is certainly not an SSMR requirement. Infact the SSMR has no requirements. You plug it in, and Device Manager should show you a COM port that Windows assigned this serial device. What you choose to decode the messages then becomes a personal choice. Domoticz and Home Assistant are only two of such front ends that can be used.

Automated Home Guru

OK, thanks. I'm struggling with Domoticz, then. I'll dig around and see what advice there is here.

Automated Home Jr Member

You might find the Evohome page on the Domoticz wiki useful and helpful, I certainly did.
    https://www.domoticz.com/wiki/Evohome

Automated Home Legend

And remember, for most things, the SSMR and the HGI80 are interchangeable. So any instructions for the HGI80 can be used for the SSMR. The advantage that the SSMR has is most modern operating systems won't need any drivers, the device will be detected automatically on plugging it in.

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RedEarth View Post
    You might find the Evohome page on the Domoticz wiki useful and helpful, I certainly did.
    https://www.domoticz.com/wiki/Evohome
    I've been looking though it, thanks, but I'm not making a lot of progress. There's a lot there about installing the drivers but Bruce_M says they're not needed with the SSM(R).

I have managed to add the Evohome controller but, after 18 hours or so, it shows me three things it calls 'Zone Relay' of type 'Lighting' and one called 'Zone Temp' - nothing that looks like my installation. If I add the Web API, I see all my zones. I'll have a poke around in the Domoticz forums to see if I can find anything there or somewhere to post my problem.

Automated Home Legend

The fact that you managed to see anything in Domoticz means that the SSMR is working and installed correctly. Now your issue might be positioning of the actual SSMR in the house, or something else.

P.S. In the Domoticz hardware page have you entered the Device ID for your Controller ? It's the 6 digit number that you will find on the System information page in the Controller settings
    Last edited by bruce_miranda; 13th May 2021 at 03:00 PM.

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    The fact that you managed to see anything in Domoticz means that the SSMR is working and installed correctly. Now your issue might be positioning of the actual SSMR in the house, or something else.

P.S. In the Domoticz hardware page have you entered the Device ID for your Controller ? It's the 6 digit number that you will find on the System information page in the Controller settings
    I hadn't entered the controller ID, the wiki says it's optional. Now I have and things are showing up. Thanks for the tip. Obviously, not as optional as implied.

Now there's a lot of info to digest!

Thanks for all the help

Automated Home Legend

It used to be optional but as the Evohome system started getting more widespread and complex, more rules got added to confirm if the messages received were from your own Evohome system or a neighbour. Domoticz will ultimately learn if you have a controller, but that can take several days. The Evohome controller doesn't advertise itself often, because there is no real need. What happens is that if while you are waiting, if your neighbour's Evohome controller is detected, suddenly Domoticz will attach to that and you'll be controlling your neighbour's system. Yup, you heard that right, there is no security. If you're into that kind of thing, you'll be walking up and down your street, turning people cold. But please don't, as they say, just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Best thing to do is to specify a Controller ID. HA and evohome_rf/cc expect the Controller ID to always be specified. Maybe I should change Domoticz to make it a mandatory too.