X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GhostlyFriend
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Dec 2021

I've received the SSM module from indalo tech. I am a complete noob in this area, but eager to learn.
    Can someone point me to a step by step instruction on how to set it up and get it to work. Just plugging the module into my usb hub seems to do nothing, I use Windows 11, so I am obviously missing a very first step here.
    Thanks for any help!

Comment

• bruce_miranda
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jul 2014

The SSM will simply allow you to "catch" the Evohome radio signals and convert them to a text format. So plugged into a Windows PC won't do very much, besides the fact that if you open your Device Manager, you will see a new Serial Device appear each time you plug the SSM into the USB port.
      What you need is some software that can take that text output and represent it in an easily understood format. There are many to choose from. Domoticz, HA+evohome_cc, etc.

Comment

• Midland45
        Automated Home Guru
        • Jan 2022

Originally posted by GhostlyFriend View Post
        I've received the SSM module from indalo tech. I am a complete noob in this area, but eager to learn.
        Can someone point me to a step by step instruction on how to set it up and get it to work. Just plugging the module into my usb hub seems to do nothing, I use Windows 11, so I am obviously missing a very first step here.
        Thanks for any help!
        I’m in the same boat here as I’ve just received a SSM Module. Prior to it coming I installed Domoticz and ran the prog on a windows 10 laptop via the Evohome webAPI. In this mode I could see all my heating zones listed. Once my SSM module arrived I changed over to Evohome USB, this gave me lots of new devices listed eg boiler pressure CH temps etc. My problem is I am now not seeing any of my heating zones which are mainly HR92s. I did read through the Domoticz wiki and noted a setting of “all sensors” was required, having left this running a few hours however I still can’t see any heating zones listed. Can anyone point out what I’ve missed?

Comment

• bruce_miranda
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jul 2014

The All Sensors is not needed if you are only interested in the sensors that Evohome recognises. E.g. The HR92 has a sensor and actuator. But if you are using a wall temperature sensor in addition to the HR92 Evohome will ignore temperature reading from the HR92's sensor and mark that as an Actuator only. Domoticz can display both temperature sensor readings I.e. the HR92's internal sensor as well as the wall (zone) sensor.

Comment

• filbert
            Automated Home Guru
            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Midland45 View Post
            I’m in the same boat here as I’ve just received a SSM Module. Prior to it coming I installed Domoticz and ran the prog on a windows 10 laptop via the Evohome webAPI. In this mode I could see all my heating zones listed. Once my SSM module arrived I changed over to Evohome USB, this gave me lots of new devices listed eg boiler pressure CH temps etc. My problem is I am now not seeing any of my heating zones which are mainly HR92s. I did read through the Domoticz wiki and noted a setting of “all sensors” was required, having left this running a few hours however I still can’t see any heating zones listed. Can anyone point out what I’ve missed?
            Have you added the controller ID? The guide says it's optional but it isn't. I wss getting nothing showing until I added it. It's covered higher up in this thread.

Comment

• Midland45
              Automated Home Guru
              • Jan 2022

Originally posted by filbert View Post
              Have you added the controller ID? The guide says it's optional but it isn't. I wss getting nothing showing until I added it. It's covered higher up in this thread.
              Thanks so much that’s done the trick. I had actually added the Evohome CRC code! Now with the controller ID in I’m seeing many more parameters displayed including HR92s zone temps and %valve positions. Controller ID is found in Settings/Device Settings (10second press) just in case anyone else needs it.

Comment

• GhostlyFriend
                Automated Home Lurker
                • Dec 2021

I open the device manager and plug in the SSM module, but nothing changes there. I have looked in USB-controllers and most other sections, and checked for new devices, but I fail to find an entry for this device.
                This means that I am not able to find the controller Id as well.
                So it seems I'm stuck on the first step...

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Jul 2014

I open the device manager and plug in the SSM module, but nothing changes there. I have looked in USB-controllers and most other sections, and checked for new devices, but I fail to find an entry for this device.
                  If you are seeing absolutely nothing move in the Device manager as you plug this in, then check.
                  a. Are you actually plugging this in the right way around in the USB socket
                  b. Do you see any LED lights to indicate power on the SSM
                  c. You might want to contact @peteP and let him know and he might suggest something else.

Comment

• Midland45
                    Automated Home Guru
                    • Jan 2022

You will be able to get the Evohome controller ID as it can be found on the Evohome controller itself under Settings/Device Settings

Comment

• GhostlyFriend
                      Automated Home Lurker
                      • Dec 2021

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
                      The fact that you managed to see anything in Domoticz means that the SSMR is working and installed correctly. Now your issue might be positioning of the actual SSMR in the house, or something else.
                      P.S. In the Domoticz hardware page have you entered the Device ID for your Controller ? It's the 6 digit number that you will find on the System information page in the Controller settings
                      I've opened System information / Ports / Serial and look at COM6, I see this:
                      PNP-apparaat-id: USB\VID_1B4F&PID_9206&MI_00\8&2192FFCC&0&0000
                      Does this string contain the Id we are looking for? I am not seeing anything else Id-ish here. If not, where should I look? Tx.

Comment

• GhostlyFriend
                        Automated Home Lurker
                        • Dec 2021

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
                        If you are seeing absolutely nothing move in the Device manager as you plug this in, then check.
                        a. Are you actually plugging this in the right way around in the USB socket
                        b. Do you see any LED lights to indicate power on the SSM
                        c. You might want to contact @peteP and let him know and he might suggest something else.
                        Thanks Bruce. I was not aware that I was even able to plug it in both ways. I feel so silly now... Now the usb light is on.

Comment

• Midland45
                          Automated Home Guru
                          • Jan 2022

Thanks Bruce. I was not aware that I was even able to plug it in both ways. I feel so silly now... Now the usb light is on.
                          Great to hear you’ve made some progress, don’t worry as I did exactly the same thing with the module when I first tried it. I can’t believe how useful a tool the module/Domoticz is proving to be for me. With the sky high price of gas it’s great to be able to graph temps of rooms, to find out where potential economies could be achieved.

Comment

Working...
                          X