Does the evohome controller have to take rechargeable batteries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrBoy
    Automated Home Guru
    • May 2017

Does the evohome controller have to take rechargeable batteries?

We've got a powercut and the evohome controller immediately started beeping. Can I just put fresh non rechargeable AAs in or will that damage it when the power comes back on? Is the circuitry smart enough to only try and charge chargeable batteries?
  • G4RHL
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by MrBoy View Post
    We've got a powercut and the evohome controller immediately started beeping. Can I just put fresh non rechargeable AAs in or will that damage it when the power comes back on? Is the circuitry smart enough to only try and charge chargeable batteries?
    The Panel may well work with non rechargeable batteries in. I must try it! But make sure you take them out when you put the panel back on it’s mount. Non rechargeable batteries are not happy with a current being trickled into them!

Comment

• DBMandrake
      Automated Home Legend
      • Sep 2014

Don't use non-rechargeable batteries (Alkaline or Lithium) in the Evotouch. Definitely not when it is on the mount as it will try to charge them, and even if you took them out before putting them on the mount this would of course cause an unwanted reboot.

Alkaline/Lithium batteries are higher voltage (1.6v when new) than the Evotouch is expecting - NiMH is typically around 1.2 volts.

Comment

• filbert
        Automated Home Guru
        • Oct 2017

Do a battery reset as set out in this thread https://www.wordpress-1219309-438749...-Panel-Battery.

Made a big difference to mine.

Comment

• benwillcox
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Apr 2020

It’s supposed to beep when it loses power, isn’t it? Mine always has done, from new.

Comment

• filbert
            Automated Home Guru
            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by benwillcox View Post
            It’s supposed to beep when it loses power, isn’t it? Mine always has done, from new.
            Yes, mine beeps every 60 seconds or so when off the mount.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
              Automated Home Legend
              • Jul 2014

Any device that is designed to take rechargeable batteries should NEVER have non rechargeable batteries put in. Infact I tend to say, don't even put in another type of rechargeable battery in either. I very much doubt the charger in the controller is intelligent enough to detect the battery chemistry and alter its behaviour.

Comment

• G4RHL
                Automated Home Legend
                • Jan 2015

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                Do a battery reset as set out in this thread https://www.wordpress-1219309-438749...-Panel-Battery.

Made a big difference to mine.
                That reset does not last long and you have to do it again. It’s a pain. I don’t bother now as it is a worthless exercise. My panel starts bleeping within 5 minutes of being off the mount. If I did a reset it may be 10. Hardly worth it. If I need the panel elsewhere in the house - to adjust schedules whilst having a G&T - then I have to take the desk stand mount with me. This issues has existed for many years now and no action to rectify it. A new user is going to wonder what has happened.

Comment

Working...
                X