Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has "Eco" mode been broken?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Automated Home Jr Member

Default Has "Eco" mode been broken?

My Evotouch is running 02.00.19.33 and I have recently switched it to "Eco" mode as I normally do at this time of year.

This is correctly reducing the setpoints of the zones by 3°C. This sometimes means a zone ends up colder than I would like, so I use an override to push it up.

However, overrides are not working!

If I use the app to set an override, it initially shows the new temperature, but it soon switches back to a lower one. A couple of examples:

1) The lounge was set to 16°C (schedule is for 19°C). I used the app to set it to 19°C - the app show it set to 19°C for a while, but it then drops back to 16°C without me doing anything or there being a schedule change.
    2) The office was set to 13°C (scheduled value). I used the app to change it to 21°C. The setting has just changed to 18°C (which is 3°C below what I set it to, which can't be a coincidence).

I have a DTS92 in the office and have tried using the buttons on it to push the temperature up. This also does not work, and the display shows unexpected behaviour - e.g., it starts at 13, I press “up" a few times and it shows 13.5, 14.0, 14.5, 15.0, 15.5, 13.0 - note the back step).

Changes made on the Evotouch itself also do not take effect.

I have reset the Evotouch, but that made no difference.

Overrides work as expected if I deactivate Eco mode.

I have tried reporting this to Resideo support by email, but the person handling the case does not seem to understand the issue - I have been told "The temperature drop in the Economy mode cannot be adjusted" and "Please be informed that in Eco mode you can do temperature changes (overrides)".

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

Automated Home Ninja

Guess you answered this yourself?

Eco mode subtracts 3 degrees from the set temperature, unless this puts the zone below the minimum. I agree that it is counter-intuitive that this behaviour is expanded to overrides as well, but that's how it is.

Automated Home Jr Member

But that's not how it has been for the past 5 years! This has only started since my Evotouch was updated to 02.00.19.33.

After further testing I have found that setting an override 3°C above the desired temperature "works". However, that is often above the maximum I have set for a zone and it cannot be set using the DTS92 due to it continually resetting the setpoint when attempting to set a new value - it appears as if the maximum available temperature is also reduced by 3°C when eco mode is active!

For example, the lounge was down to 13.5°C this morning. I was able to set the temperature to 18°C by setting an override for 21°C. Not so lucky with the office - this was at 18°C and I want to get it to 21°C, but that is the zone maximum and I can only get the override up to 18°C.

Automated Home Legend

[QUOTE=keylevel;45600]But that's not how it has been for the past 5 years! This has only started since my Evotouch was updated QUOTE]

I think you have answered your query. Eco mode as we now have it was not available 5 years ago. It came in with the latest software update. If you have it set then it will always reduce the temperature by 3c.

Automated Home Guru

Yep have also noticed this as Eco set to -1C on my system and if the current reading of a room is 18 and I want it to go to 19 I have to input 20 on the app!! Also have the same with the DT92 remote sensors which at the best of time can be a tad temperamental to change temp setting but now I have to quickly keep changing the value to get to 1 degree over my setting whilst it is at the same time trying to reduce the value by 1 degree - quite a larf!!

Automated Home Jr Member

[QUOTE=G4RHL;45601]
    Quote Originally Posted by keylevel View Post
    But that's not how it has been for the past 5 years! This has only started since my Evotouch was updated QUOTE]

I think you have answered your query. Eco mode as we now have it was not available 5 years ago. It came in with the latest software update. If you have it set then it will always reduce the temperature by 3c.
    My Evotouch was installed in June 2016. Prior to 24th Feb this year it was on version 02.00.17.03 and that supported Eco mode; it allowed an override to be set (Eco mode active), and that override was to the level set (not the level -3°C). I have been happily using this feature for years.

On 24th Feb I requested a software update as the clock was something like 1hr37 out of sync due to a clock bug, with 02.00.19.33 being installed.

Automated Home Guru

Although I have used Eco mode since first introduced, as it always dropped the temps by -3c, I tended to only use when quite warm outside and so tended to "set and forget" until I needed to turn it off. I didn't ever override a single zone with Eco on so don't know if it would have exhibited this behaviour in the previous version. With the update allowing finer Eco settings then now I am starting to fine tune individual zones and this behaviour whilst rather "strange" would require the app and DT92 to recognise that Eco is on and use the actual entered temp rather than trying to adjust by the Eco value. I think that I spotted the same on the TRV values as well(I had to adjust up 1 degree over as it then dropped it by the Eco -1c) so maybe the code change is required on the main unit and that would "roll out" to the app and TRVs and DT92??

Automated Home Sr Member

The temperate in Eco/Boost is adjustable + or -,but this for all zones.
    Go settings/quick actions/eco boost to adjust ,I have mine set to -1.5

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by keylevel View Post
    But that's not how it has been for the past 5 years! This has only started since my Evotouch was updated to 02.00.19.33.

After further testing I have found that setting an override 3°C above the desired temperature "works". However, that is often above the maximum I have set for a zone and it cannot be set using the DTS92 due to it continually resetting the setpoint when attempting to set a new value - it appears as if the maximum available temperature is also reduced by 3°C when eco mode is active!

For example, the lounge was down to 13.5°C this morning. I was able to set the temperature to 18°C by setting an override for 21°C. Not so lucky with the office - this was at 18°C and I want to get it to 21°C, but that is the zone maximum and I can only get the override up to 18°C.
    I still have the old firmware and can confirm that, with eco mode active, I can set an override for a zone and the temperature will be as set. Ie it will not be reduced by 3 degrees. I find this the more logical way of working as the user is taking manual control of the zone. However, I could, reluctantly, live with this new way of working if it is a necessary change to enable the ability for variable offsets in eco mode, but would prefer manual offset to set the temperature that I have requested

When Resideo finally get around to rolling out the new firmware, I will be able to make an informed assessment. I suspect it will be summer before it is pushed out so may have to wait until next winter to try it. I know I could request an update, but am interestedl to see how long Resideo will take to finally roll it out. Maybe there are problems?
    Last edited by CT1; 22nd April 2021 at 11:58 AM.

Automated Home Legend

From what I read it seems to me the best thing to do is ignore Eco mode and if you want to adjust temperature up or down, do so in the app for whatever period you want. Eco mode is not then left on by mistake.