Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Has "Eco" mode been broken?

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    It’s the settings>quick action - when you select eco it pops up an adjustment option with 0.5 +/- increments and then applies it �� then when you select quick actions from the main screen and apply eco it applies the previously set adjustment value
    Thanks for that, What I would have expected was that a long press on eco would not only give the option to set a time but would also give an option to choose the offset. There is plenty of room on the screen to show both at the same time. I anticipate wanting to set varying offsets at different times and it is crazy to have to go into different menus to make a single action ie an defined offset for a defined period.

Automated Home Legend

It's taken soooo long and constant asking to even get a variable Eco setting. Infact it wasn't even there on the Beta 1.

Automated Home Guru

Don’t get me wrong, great to finally have “offset mode”. Just think it could have been made more intuitive and convenient.

Automated Home Legend

Don't get me started on what all could be improved. Resideo doesn't appear to want to make massive improvements to Evohome. So we just say Thank You when they make any changes. I upgraded to Evohome WIFI with the lure than it will stay up-to-date, and to be fair it has. But in all the years of ownership there have been 2 firmware releases. 2!!
    And I lost per zone optimization and local outdoor sensor support.

Automated Home Guru

I did not participate in the beta because I doubted that I would use the new features, so would not have been able to offer meaningful feedback. The same applies to a lot of the discussion on the forum covering advance usage and monitoring. I do however read with interest much of the discussion and think that it must be very frustrating for those who put in a lot of effort to provide unpaid support to Resideo’s customers, only to have their suggestions largely ignored without comment. Having asked for unpaid help in beta testing, would have been good for Resideo to have given you a bit more feedback.

As you would probably have noticed, most of my comments are aimed at encouraging Resideo to sort out the basics like battery charging and to make operation as simple and intuitive as possible, but this does not mean that I do not accept that others have other ideas and priorities. It is good that forum members, engage in rational discussion without resorting to personal abuse, long may it continue.

Automated Home Guru

Back on topic. I tried to show the family how to use the new offset eco mode and the response was not encouraging, not intuative and too many button presses required. I suspect that it will only be used when I am around and the rest of the time I will have to leave it set at -3 so they can carry on as before.

I have not checked the operation regarding manual offsets, as I believe this has already been found to be “wrong by design” and we can only hope it is corrected by Resideo in the next firmware update, which is likely to be years away as this update has yet to be fully rolled out..

Automated Home Lurker

Sorry for the late bump on this but I just updated to the latest firmware and this change in functionality of overrides with eco mode is utterly crazy to the point I'm looking for alternatives - so just wanted to check this is correct behaviour rather than start another thread. Before we just turned the thermostat to a temperature and it set that as the setpoint. Now I have to give instructions to my wife/dad to say 1. Find out what mode the heating is in, 2. Set the temperature using the compensation factor based on the mode. I had assumed this was a bug and looks like it has been reported above but I just contacted support and the response is "this is normal behaviour". The change in eco mode was welcome but this kind of make it unusable. I was told that a firmware rollback may break lots of other things.

How are other people seeing this issue? Any advise would be welcome.

Automated Home Sr Member

It doesn't bother me at all, I only ever use use eco mode to drop all the setpoints by 3C if I'm leaving the house for a few hours, so I'd never need to set individual overrides at the same time as doing that.

Automated Home Jr Member

That contradicts what Resideo support told me a few days ago in response to the defect report I submitted to them last year:

Dear XXX,

Thank you for your email. Right now, the latest firmware for the evohome controller was not updated, it is still the 02.00.19.33 version.

The issue you had is still in place with this firmware, unfortunately we do not have an estimated time for a new firmware or for the issue to be solved.

Thank you for your understanding!

Kind Regards,

XXX
    Resideo | Honeywell Home Europe Consumer Support
    I also get a second email attempting to get me to close the issue as "resolved"! I rejected this on the grounds that the feature I had used for years is still broken and I cannot use my external room stats to alter the temperature when Eco mode is active.

The only "workaround" I have found is to use the custom schedule to set all zones to (say) 13 - at least that way I can boost a zone when I want to without having to jump through hoops to get the temperature I want.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by RedEarth View Post
    It doesn't bother me at all, I only ever use use eco mode to drop all the setpoints by 3C if I'm leaving the house for a few hours, so I'd never need to set individual overrides at the same time as doing that.

I use to use it a lot in the spring in autumn to basically switch the heating "off", but allow it to come on if zones get too low. The ability to raise the set point was useful if the rooms didn't get enough of a solar boost during the day to make them comfortable in the evening. I always thought this is what the "Eco" setting was about...