• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dave1966uk
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Oct 2020

Evohome no longer showing outside temperature

Hi

I have an Evohome that has pretty much behaved until now. I have firmware version 02.00.19.33 and wanted to set the Warm Weather Saver but it was missing from the menu. So was Cold Weather Boost. I remember form the Beta that these options appear/disappear if the location was not known and it showed until sometime this week. I have only the network in the top left. I have disconnected and reconnected the wifi on the controlled, rebooted my router and deleted and added my location on the Evohome website. Still no outdoor temperature and so no warm/cold weather options. My address has not changed and the postcode is still on the account.

Help!

David
  • G4RHL
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by dave1966uk View Post
    Hi

I have an Evohome that has pretty much behaved until now. I have firmware version 02.00.19.33 and wanted to set the Warm Weather Saver but it was missing from the menu. So was Cold Weather Boost. I remember form the Beta that these options appear/disappear if the location was not known and it showed until sometime this week. I have only the network in the top left. I have disconnected and reconnected the wifi on the controlled, rebooted my router and deleted and added my location on the Evohome website. Still no outdoor temperature and so no warm/cold weather options. My address has not changed and the postcode is still on the account.

Help!

David
    No problems here in the north of England. Not that the indicated temperature is correct mind you, but that is normal.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jul 2014

I know this is digging up an old thread. But how was this resolved. I have only just realised that the Outdoor temperature isn't visible on the controller any more

Comment

• bruce_miranda
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jul 2014

Anyone have this same issue or more importantly how did you fix the issue?

Comment

• G4RHL
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jan 2015

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
          Anyone have this same issue or more importantly how did you fix the issue?
          I rarely look at the control panel now. Gone are the days of error messages from the hot water sensor! I have just looked and the outside temperature is showing. Says it is 14 C. It is actually 16.5 C. Hence a reason why I would not want to have the outside temperature set to influence the heating controls.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jul 2014

Customer service don't appear to know what's going on too. They have made me try several things and it still won't show up again.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
              Automated Home Legend
              • Jul 2014

OK I had an interesting fix suggestion that worked, even though I cannot explain why.
              The custom service team asked me to connect the WiFi of my controller to a mobile hotspot. And the temperature display reappeared! Moved the WiFi connection back to my home network and the display has stayed on. Go Figure! And when you do, please explain it to me.

Comment

• gordonb3
                Automated Home Ninja
                • Dec 2016

Not so much of an explanation, but I have something similar with my laptop when I move from one access point to the other. For some obscure reason it sometimes fails to register the default route from the DHCP server and hence I have no internet (but can access everything inside the house). The way to fix the internet access is to either reboot the laptop or temporarily switch to a different WiFi network.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Jul 2014

I too have a mesh and the Evohome controller being in a central location can probably connect to one of 4 nodes. But the bizarre thing is, it's always connected to the Internet because the sign is there and the App works etc but clearly something is stopping it from pulling the Internet weather feed in my mesh set-up.

Comment

• CT1
                    Automated Home Guru
                    • Apr 2016

I had a brief period of this. Not sure when it began because I have an outdoor temperature sensor and seldom look at what EvoHome is reporting. After a couple of days the outside temp came back, not sure but we may have had a short power cut during that period.

You could try a complete reboot of your mesh system. I have a 4 node mesh and a power cut would have caused a reboot.

Have you tried using another DNS server for your network? Temporary moves to a different network may use a different DNS server?

I have seen the occasional report of odd things like this with particular combinations of ISPs and routers. Cannot remember details.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Jul 2014

I never look at (or trust) the Evohome displayed outside temperature but I know that feed is needed for the smart Weather features.

Comment

• CT1
                        Automated Home Guru
                        • Apr 2016

I have never tried using the smart weather feature, partly because the EvoHome outside temperature can be several degrees different to that reported by my outside sensor. Other internet based temperature sources are just as bad, so not an EvoHome problem as such.

I don’t use any of the smart features. I have enough problems trying to get the family to understand/accept the operation of EvoHome and the difference between actual room temperature and their (differing) personal perceptions of whether a room is to hot or to cold at any time. Before EvoHome, they used to keep changing the TRVs but I have disabled that feature on EvoHome. Having the TRVs in the bedrooms activating before a set time causes more complaints than just letting things start up when people get up. Fortunately we have a very well insulated house so it seldom gets that cold overnight. Keep It Very Simple Stupid gives me the least complaints and actually provides a comfortable environment most of the time.

Comment

• gordonb3
                          Automated Home Ninja
                          • Dec 2016

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
                          I too have a mesh and the Evohome controller being in a central location can probably connect to one of 4 nodes. But the bizarre thing is, it's always connected to the Internet because the sign is there and the App works etc but clearly something is stopping it from pulling the Internet weather feed in my mesh set-up.
                          Now that is weird, because that means that the controller did in fact establish a connection with the internet server. I wonder if this connection might be using multiple APIs as well and one of them persists in using a session key that was invalidated on the server side? Obviously this traffic is all encrypted so you'll never be able to figure this out on your side - server logs would have to indicate this. Makes perfect sense that it would reset such false connection parameters when the IP address changes.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Jul 2014

Something is really bizarre. Controller is definitely connected to the Internet because the icon is there and the app can connect. However the Outside Temperature has been stuck at the same temperature from when I tried the WiFi of the mobile hotspot. So while the Outside Temperature display has stayed on since moving back to my home mesh WiFi, the temperature isn't updating. It's worse still - I seem to have uncovered a bug with the smart weather features. Last night it was quite cold and I wanted to put the heating on for a bit. However all the rooms refused to heat because the smart weather was using the stuck Outside Temperature value to determine that heating wasn't necessary in my house!!

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Jul 2014

There is something strange going on with my Velop mesh and Evohome. My mesh uses the same SSID between the 2.4 and 5G bands. Evohome connects to the SSID fine, the app works but Outside temperature does not work. When I split the bands, for some strange reason it won't connect to the main 2.4G SSID but connects to the Guest WiFi network and Outside Temperature is displayed. I've left it like this as I don't think there is anything the controller needs from the local lan network. Why it won't connect when I split the bands is a mystery but will connect when the bands are merged, but won't display Outside Temperature.
                              The really strange thing is that the Velop's Guest WiFi network is mixed band and there is no way that I can see of being able to split the Guest WiFi into 2.4G and 5G And yet the Evohome is quite happy to use that Guest network and displays the Outside Temperature.
                              Last edited by bruce_miranda; 5 October 2022, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X