Thread: Storage Combi of choice these days

Automated Home Legend

Default Storage Combi of choice these days

Asking for a friend, no seriously. He doesn't have the space or need for a full blown Unvented cylinder and system boiler. But can fit a Storage Combi.
    In 2022, what would be the boiler of choice. The names Intergas and ATAG etc, that I mentioned to him don't make a storage combi, apparently.

Automated Home Legend

My go to would probably be a Worcester HighFlow 440/550, or a Vaillant EcoTec Plus 938. Although the Vaillant's tank is only 20l so tbh I don't think it gives you any benefit over the 838.

Automated Home Legend

On a storage combi can the Kitchen HW output be done in such a way that it doesn't deplete the HW stored, which is used only for the bathrooms?

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    On a storage combi can the Kitchen HW output be done in such a way that it doesn't deplete the HW stored, which is used only for the bathrooms?
    No, unfortunately not.

Automated Home Legend

How does the combi maintain the temperature in its storage container? Using gas via its heating loop or via an immersion top up heater?

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    How does the combi maintain the temperature in its storage container? Using gas via its heating loop or via an immersion top up heater?
    Using Gas, different ones operate differently. Some use the plate heat exchanger, other's work a bit like a traditional system then switch over into combi mode.

IMO they're a waste of time. You either have a big output combi and use the comfort features, or have a system boiler and unvented cylinder. I don't see what benefit you gain from them other than high maintenance costs when they go wrong!