Thread: Drayton Wiser Heat Radiator Thermostat battery life

Automated Home Jr Member

Question Drayton Wiser Heat Radiator Thermostat battery life

I notice others boasting of 12 to 18 month battery life on the Honeywell Evohome radiator stats but what are users of the Wiser system experience? I've now started to keep a note in a spreadsheet when I change the batteries across my 13 radiator stats and 1 room stat but it does feel like 2-3 months is the most I get in the most used rooms. Anyone else's experience different?

Malcolm

Automated Home Lurker

I've got 14 radiator stats and generally speaking I find a battery life of about six months using Duracell Ultra's. I too find the system 'flaky' I've sometimes had to remove a stat from the system and factory reset and reinstall. I initially purchased the system as it was promoted as Opentherm compatible it was only after purchase that I discovered that WEiser implementation of Opentherm would only work with a Combi not as System boiler.

Automated Home Jr Member

What's your definition of 'flaky'?

I found that the Hub would regularly lose wifi contact until I set up a dedicated 2.4ghz SSID for it to use (recommended by Drayton support). It's been fine since (about 3 months now).

Other than those that have failed, the radiator stats generally have been fine. Up to now the failures have always been complete. I did have one that stopped controlling the temperature once but a reset cleared that. I do now keep two new stats on the shelf in readiness for the next failure though!

Automated Home Lurker

Occasionally App won't connect to hub usually solved by powering down and restarting hub. The identifying valve option does not always work if you have several valves in the same room and need to see which on is indicating low battery. One valve was indicating a temperature about 10deg below actual temperature, not solved by replacing batteries, had to completely delete valve and and if I remember even room from system. Factory resetting valve several times finally restored it to normal. I wish I had bought several spares when recently on offer at a reduced price.