Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Viessmann 100W combi (2021 version ) Opentherm

Automated Home Jr Member

Default Viessmann 100W combi (2021 version ) Opentherm

I just got installed the Viessmann 100-W - 2021 version ( 35 kW Combi B1KF) to go with my Evohome , I selected it because the new (2021) version of the 100-W has turn down capable of reaching 3.2 kW , and it now has the advanced combustion control ( Lambda)from the 200W, and allows some boiler data (flow temperature and burner modulation %) to be read from Vicare app )

Although it is marked as Opentherm capable, I was aware before buying (and it was confirmed by Viessmann Technical in the UK ) that when in opentherm control, then the max CH flow temperature could not be set and it would default to 82 deg C .

I connected up the opentherm anyway and indeed the boiler flow temp did go to 82deg C before modulating down the burner .

I then then entered the boilers service menu and then under b..2 , item 7, "maximum flow temperature limit , heat circuit 1 " , was the value of 82 . Expecting nothing to happen, I changed this to 70 deg C . It worked , with evohome controller demanding 100% (highest CH water flow temperature), the boiler went up to 70 deg C and started to modulate the burner down much to my surprise.

I had wired up both the a BDR91 bridge and the R88101A Opentherm bridge , in case the opentherm was too wild for my liking as I had expected I would have gone back to the TPI control with the BDR91 . But I am happy to say I will be using opentherm now.

Only issue observed for me , was cannot engage the "ECO" mode for DHW , boiler seems to keep the DWW at a set point of 50 deg C .

Automated Home Legend

Viessmann was one of my options when looking for a new boiler three months ago Viessmann recommended an approved installer who is about 10 minutes away from me and said he could quote but never did and ignored me. I went for Intergas which had been my main choice. I cannot go as low as 3.2kw max for CH, which is what the new Viessmann is noted for, but I can drop to 6.4kW and set it at that some weeks back. No problems at all. Also have dropped the flow temperature to 65C. It works absolutely fine. Out of interest did your installer know about properly setting it, flow and condensing temperatures and power settings? My experience has been that over 95% have little or no knowledge of such (even so called approved installers) and leave boilers installed as they come with default settings. In your case 80C I assume and maximum kW for CH.

With the Opentherm connection with the Intergas it just happens and works once the bridge is connected. ECO mode I removed. Could not see the need for it and it only burns more gas than is necessary. It might take slightly longer for hot water to reach the tap but the time is marginal and we don’t have the boiler firing up every so often just to keep DHW in readiness.

Automated Home Legend

That B.2 setting must be new and Viessmann's way of handling the issues that many on this forum have reported.
    Last edited by bruce_miranda; 11th May 2021 at 01:13 PM.

Automated Home Jr Member

3 weeks with the 100-W on evohome opentherm, all working well. I was close to selecting intergas because it has a good opentherm implementation and appears to be an excellent reliable boiler , my only negative was that aluminium is on the acidic condensate which I did not want. The installer did not optimise the boiler for opentherm every thing was left on defaults . After 2 days I reduced the burner output to 45% and set the max CH temperature to 70 deg C (I will soon change this to 65 deg C) .

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JCK View Post
    3 weeks with the 100-W on evohome opentherm, all working well. I was close to selecting intergas because it has a good opentherm implementation and appears to be an excellent reliable boiler , my only negative was that aluminium is on the acidic condensate which I did not want. The installer did not optimise the boiler for opentherm every thing was left on defaults . After 2 days I reduced the burner output to 45% and set the max CH temperature to 70 deg C (I will soon change this to 65 deg C) .
    I am sure you will find 65C no different, although with the current weather it won’t be on! My maximum kW for CH remains set at 6.4kW but I can’t go lower - you can! During colder months it was never a problem. Aluminium issues I think are more a thing of the past plus there is a requirement to fit a limescale filter with a new boiler and we are fortunate where we are as we have good water, none of the stuff that furs up the kettle!

Automated Home Jr Member

Hi JCK,

Now that you have been using your boiler for a couple of months, would you be so kind as to provide us a review ?

Looking forward for your answer !

Automated Home Jr Member

My 100-W Viessmann boiler was installed April 6th 2021 , nearly 10 months ago. So far its working well with the evohome system using opentherm. It is located in the loft, I never need to visit the boiler in the loft because all information I want is provided by the Vicare App on my phone . App data of interest to me (for my curiosity) that is available : a) actual flow temperature b) target flow temperature c) pump status on or off, d) burner on or off c) burner modulation percentage d) system pressure . Just this week an update of the Vicare app also provides gas consumption used for both hot water heating and central heating (reported separately) and electrical power consumption of the boiler, this were previously only available for the 200-W . The boiler does modulate down very well in response to the opentherm and the flow temperatures are kept mostly in condensing range once the evohome room temperature set points are all reached. This appears to be a more efficient system than my previous TPI control for Worcester greenstar CDI .

Automated Home Legend

How does the boiler get the data to the phone app? Via some cloud service or directly via Bluetooth etc.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    How does the boiler get the data to the phone app? Via some cloud service or directly via Bluetooth etc.
    Its a cloud service . According to the app with the recent cold weather in manchester my house is using on average 7.24 m3/d of gas for heating an 1.14 m3/d for hot water . Electrical power use is 1.157 kWhr per day . I really like this visibiity

Automated Home Legend

So the boiler is connected via WiFi or a ethernet cable I imagine. Cool.