New Evohome user + new firmware + which TRV body?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • therealfronty
    Automated Home Guru
    • May 2021

New Evohome user + new firmware + which TRV body?

Hi all, new evohome user here, I picked up a gen 3 controller and 11 x HR92s off ebay, also came with the boiler relay and hot water kit, so lots of fun to be had.

Already got the HR92's working on most radiators (most have TRV4's so just had to swap the heads over), the main objective was to turn off all the heating upstairs whilst the wife and I work in the office downstairs during the day, so that is all working nicely (I'm no longer doing my nut worrying about all the gas I'm burning heating empty rooms upstairs!). Also got a stonking great conservatory on the back of the house with 2 big radiators that now turn off during the day (rather than relying on TRV4's).

Next step will be to add HR92s to the main rads in the front room where the existing roomstat is located (but need to add TRV bodies to them), then replace the wall mounted roomstat with the Evohome controller, wire in the boiler relay so it can call for heat, then use the existing roomstat wiring to provide the AC or DC for the controller - rather than dig out a recess to bury the transformer in a back box behind the controller I'm thinking of mounting the transformer up by the wiring centre then I can use the cabling for low voltage DC straight into the controller (via the wallmount kit). I'm not going to touch the hot water yet, will leave that on the existing controller for now as I have a spaghetti junction in the wiring centre (it's Y plan so have the 3 port valve and pump up there in the airing cupboard with the DHW cylinder).

I've already been onto Residio support and got the latest firmware installed, I was on 02.00.17.03 but now running 02.00.19.33, I asked support if a new version was due out and they said this:
    Dear customer,

The next future app version is 4.14.0 , planned to be released in June 2021.
    Unfortunately we do not have any information about the new features that will contain.

Kind Regards,
    Anda
    Resideo | Honeywell Home Europe Consumer Support

Now I need to add TRV bodies to three rads and change one TRV on another rad that doesn't fit the HR92, was thinking of using Honeywell valencia TRV bodies (V120-15A), but I fitted a Honeywell VT15 (https://www.wickes.co.uk/Honeywell-V...-15mm/p/228638) on another rad and it works fine with the HR92 (and it seems to be cheaper), does anyone know if they are the same valve body as I can pick these up for £15 from Wickes and throw the head away (the valencia on it's own seems to be more, but maybe they are better quality?).

Looking forward to playing with this system and fingers crossed my gas bill goes down!

Cheers all!

Fronty
  • G4RHL
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jan 2015

Obviously enjoying yourself. When you add DHW you find that you need to unpair the relay for the CH first, then set up the DHW sensor and pair its relay to the panel, then add back the CH relay. I don’t know the reason but one oddity is the system usually wants you to set up DHW before CH.

As for Resideo’s response it is odd. They don’t know what the new app will contain? Not possible. I assume they meant to say “we don’t want to share the new features with you at present.” It would make more sense trying a new app out as a beta version with willing participants before releasing it. They may be doing that of course.

Comment

• therealfronty
      Automated Home Guru
      • May 2021

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
      Obviously enjoying yourself. When you add DHW you find that you need to unpair the relay for the CH first, then set up the DHW sensor and pair its relay to the panel, then add back the CH relay. I don’t know the reason but one oddity is the system usually wants you to set up DHW before CH.

As for Resideo’s response it is odd. They don’t know what the new app will contain? Not possible. I assume they meant to say “we don’t want to share the new features with you at present.” It would make more sense trying a new app out as a beta version with willing participants before releasing it. They may be doing that of course.
      Oh that's interesting, I had read that people had had problems like this and then ended up running the wizard (which I think wipes out your current settings/schedules etc.?). So thanks for the tip!

I think support may have gone a bit off-kilter with their message about the firmware, ie the version number they are quoting is formatted completely differently, like they are referencing a different product, so will see what happens in June I guess.

Found someone on ebay selling VT15 TRV bodies for £7 a pop so have ordered 4. Still not sure if they are the same as V120-15A but the one I fitted a couple weeks ago seems to be working fine.

Comment

• RedEarth
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Jan 2021

Originally posted by therealfronty View Post
        I think support may have gone a bit off-kilter with their message about the firmware, ie the version number they are quoting is formatted completely differently, like they are referencing a different product, so will see what happens in June I guess.
        I guess they must be referring to the mobile app, not the actual Evohome firmware. The current version of that (on Android) is 4.13.1, so 4.14.0 is logical for the next version number.

Comment

• therealfronty
          Automated Home Guru
          • May 2021

Originally posted by RedEarth View Post
          I guess they must be referring to the mobile app, not the actual Evohome firmware. The current version of that (on Android) is 4.13.1, so 4.14.0 is logical for the next version number.
          Ah that makes sense.

Comment

Working...
          X