Could this 'simplified' setup actually work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DerekWilliamsUK
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jan 2018

Could this 'simplified' setup actually work?

I am NOT a heating engineer, as may be obvious from this question and diagram, BUT could this simplified Hot Water & Central Heating system layout/design actually work?

By 'simplified' i mean NO S-Plan or Y-Plan 2/3 port valves required.

HEATING SYSTEM.jpg

Evohome could still control the calling of heat from the boiler using the standard Evo Hot Water temperature sensor and the radiators with their HR92 TRV's. I realise the Hot Water cylinder would get heated everytime any part of the system calls for heat, but is that such a bad thing? A heated towel rail or uncontrolled radiator could be used in addition to the ABV when all the TRVs are closed.

I am NOT proposing to do this, but just wondered what the issues would be?

Regards..
    Last edited by DerekWilliamsUK; 20 May 2021, 09:19 AM. Reason: Updated System Diagram Image
  • therealfronty
    Automated Home Guru
    • May 2021

This is actually how my central heating was configured when I bought my house in 1997 - the house was about 20 years old and came with an ancient floor standing boiler that was on it's last legs, however the hot water coming out of the taps was scolding hot as there was no way to regulate the temperature. In the end I had the boiler replaced and the installer converted it to a Y-plan system with 3 port valve. It works much better although I think next time I get the boiler changed I wouldn't mind converting to a 4 pipe system and have the DHW on it's own circuit.

Your design would work but like the problem I had, you would have scolding water coming out of the hot water taps. You could change all your taps to mixers, but it still wouldn't prevent scolding if the mixer was set to 100% hot water. I expect this kind of system does not comply with building regs because of the risk of accident.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jul 2014

Originally posted by DerekWilliamsUK View Post
      I am NOT a heating engineer, as may be obvious from this question and diagram, BUT could this simplified Hot Water & Central Heating system layout/design actually work?

By 'simplified' i mean NO S-Plan or Y-Plan 2/3 port valves required.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1806[/ATTACH]

Evohome could still control the calling of heat from the boiler using the standard Evo Hot Water temperature sensor and the radiators with their HR92 TRV's. I realise the Hot Water cylinder would get heated everytime any part of the system calls for heat, but is that such a bad thing? A heated towel rail or uncontrolled radiator could be used in addition to the ABV when all the TRVs are closed.

I am NOT proposing to do this, but just wondered what the issues would be?

Regards..
      The issue with this is that your Cylinder with starve the radiators from getting enough of heated water from the boiler.

Comment

• DerekWilliamsUK
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Jan 2018

I was thinking that the Hot Water Cylinder would effectively act as a large heat source/buffer given that it would remain fairly hot most of the time. I run mine at 60c, although only have it on between 0600-0900 every morning (when it is used most for having a few showers).

Comment

Working...
        X