• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jenks
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Sep 2018

Custom Programs

I have had an Evohome system installed for about 5 years now and I have found it to be excellent, particularly in an older house where different rooms have very different heat loss characteristics

In all this time, I have never used the Custom Programme function and never quite understood how it works
    What I would like to do for summer use is switch all the heating off with the exception of a heated towel rail (controlled by an HR92) , which I would like to come on for about 1 hour each day

It seems to me, with the custom programme, I can create an alternate set of settings for selected zones, but that means that all the other zones must run as normal. This means that on their normal winter settings they will come on from time to time when not required. I could manually reduce the temperature settings for all the other zones and then increase them again next autumn/winter, but if I did this I could just programme the HTR as well and then what is the point of the custom programme (Now called Heated Towel Rail)

Am I missing something obvious??

Many thanks
    Steve
  • DBMandrake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Sep 2014

No you're not missing anything unfortunately.

The custom action applies one custom schedule to one or more selected zones, but the unselected zones will continue to follow their normal schedules.

And unfortunately you can't "stack" the custom action on top of another action like away or heating off, nor can you have two different custom schedules applied to two different groups of rooms.

About the best I can suggest for your scenario is that instead of using the custom action you set all the other zones you don't want running to permanent overrides of say 10C - they will stay set to 10C permanently until you undo the change and the heated towel rail can continue to follow its normal schedule or indeed a custom schedule.

Permanent overrides survive most custom action mode changes as well. There is one specific custom action which will cancel permanent overrides but I can't recall without checking which it is.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jul 2014

The only stacked Quick Action that I have found is Eco With Day Off, and that too it is hidden from the Evohome UI. I had to write a special Domoticz one to expose it to users. Invaluable during lockdown WFH.

Comment

• Jenks
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Sep 2018

OK thanks very much for that information guys

I can see that there are certain situations where the Custom action would be quite useful, but over the years it has become referred to a "summer heated towel" or something close to that. I can't see much opportunity to use it for that

I suppose it is back to one of the work arounds suggested or alternatively use the "away" quick action and manually operate the HR92 on the towel rail when required

Many thanks Steve

Comment

• therealfronty
          Automated Home Guru
          • May 2021

Gotta be honest, the only thing I use custom for is to set every zone to 35 degrees so all valves open when I need to drain down the system.

Comment

• DBMandrake
            Automated Home Legend
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Jenks View Post
            OK thanks very much for that information guys
            I suppose it is back to one of the work arounds suggested or alternatively use the "away" quick action and manually operate the HR92 on the towel rail when required
            Manually overriding zones on an HR92 when the heating is in away/heating off mode will not work in the latest firmware version. Neither of these modes will recognise manual overrides, and if the room temperature is more than about 1.5C higher than the set point defined by by away/heating off modes, the heat demand from the HR92 will not be passed through the controller so the boiler won't fire.

This was changed to fix issues like being able to accidentally turn up an HR92 on a system in Heating Off mode and have the boiler running despite the controller saying heating was off, and also to speed up shutting down of the boiler when schedule or mode changes are supposed to be turning the boiler off. (As soon as the set points change at the controller the heat demands from the zones would be ignored even before HR92's sent zero heat demands several minutes later)

Comment

• Jenks
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Sep 2018

Yes you are absolutely correct DBM

I am now currently using the ECO setting, so heating rarely if ever will come on during summertime, but it does allow individual manual override and returns to the normal schedule as soon as the next switch point is reached

This seems to be the best I can do without having make major changes to the schedules set

Steve

Comment

• Jenks
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Sep 2018

Originally posted by Jenks View Post
                Yes you are absolutely correct DBM

I am now currently using the ECO setting, so heating rarely if ever will come on during summertime, but it does allow individual manual override and returns to the normal schedule as soon as the next switch point is reached

This seems to be the best I can do without having make major changes to the schedules set

Steve
                Actually I have refined this work around for the towel rail now.
                I have created an additional timed switchpoint of 30 minutes within the existing normal winter schedule and set the temperature to 28 deg. Using the ECO setting during summer means that normally only the towel rail comes on.
                Come winter and running normally, I could reduce the set temp for that 30 minutes, or in fact if just left as is I don't think it would be noticeable as after 30 mins system will revert to normal comfort operating setting

Not rocket science I know, but it has taken me 5 years to figure out and may be useful to someone!!

Steve

Comment

Working...
                X