• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IvanOpinion
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Dec 2015

Replacing an Evohome HR92

Could a kind soul give me a steer as to how to replace an existing HR92 in my system? The original installation and set up was done by an engineer who is no longer available.

I have fitted the new TRV to the radiator. My problem is how to get the wifi controller to treat it as having replaced the old HR92.

The radiator is in what I will call Room A, which is on the same circuit of water pipes as two other rooms. The flow of hot water from the boiler into the pipes is triggered by a wireless relay box for the circuit. [I'm not sure it matters, but Rooms B and C just have a single radiator each, with a HR92 on each radiator. Each room is a separate zone in Evohome. The room C HR92 has no batteries, so is permanently off, as the room does not need to be heated.] Room A has two radiators, each of which had HR92s, and there is a DT92 wall thermostat which I understand acts as the sensor for Room A. The two radiators are controlled together and I assume the controller has been set up so that it knows which wireless relay to trigger for the pipe circuit that runs through Room A. One of the HR92s in Room A died, so I am replacing it with a new HR91.

If I follow the instructions that came with the HR91, it seems to make me set it up as a new zone. This worked, once I gave the new zone a name. The HR91 bound (binded?) correctly. But what I want is for the HR91 to be part of the existing Room A zone, so it is controlled in tandem with the other radiator in Room A, using the wall sensor for that zone and the relevant wireless relay. Is this possible? I assume I need to use the Zone Configuration for Room A at the Controller screen, but then what? I would have expected it to show me the existing configuration for Room A: two HR92s, DT92 sensor and relay. But I can't decipher it. [Heating Type says Radiator Valve. Temperature Sensor says Remote Sensor. RF Device Binding says Devices Bound.]

Can I add the new HR91 to the existing zone? Or, do I have to delete the whole zone and set up the sensor and both TRVs again? How do I tell it which wireless relay to use?

I don't want to use the wizard, as it looks as if this will require me to set up all the other zones as well.
  • therealfronty
    Automated Home Guru
    • May 2021

Hi, I have done this, you definitely don't need to create a new zone, have you found the installer menu, press and hold the settings button. I can't remember the exact procedure but I remember doing an rf check and deleting any non-responding actuators, also you can unbind the HR92 itself from the binding menu if it's still powered up. Will try and have a more detailed look later.

Comment

• IvanOpinion
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Dec 2015

Originally posted by therealfronty View Post
      Hi, I have done this, you definitely don't need to create a new zone, have you found the installer menu, press and hold the settings button. I can't remember the exact procedure but I remember doing an rf check and deleting any non-responding actuators, also you can unbind the HR92 itself from the binding menu if it's still powered up. Will try and have a more detailed look later.
      Thanks, yes, I'm in the installer menu. The old HR92 is dead, so I can't unbind it directly. Perhaps I need to do an RF check and then there will be an option to add a device. But if you are able to confirm, that would be SO helpful.

Comment

• therealfronty
        Automated Home Guru
        • May 2021

Just do the RF check for that zone, it will send a message and report it as unsuccessful (because the HR92 didn't respond), then I'm pretty sure it gives you the option to delete it. Try that first. Then you can simply bind the new one to that zone.

Comment

• IvanOpinion
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Dec 2015

For the benefit of anyone else trying to do this, I found the way to do it, having come across what seems to be the latest (2020) version of the Installer Manual, here: https://youlearn.honeywellhome.com/u...tion_Guide.pdf

Page 38 explains you need to go into Zone Configuration, then select the zone, then RF Device Binding, then put the device in binding mode. I did this and then manually triggered the heating for the room and both radiators started warming, so it seemed to have added the new HR91 and retained the HR92 and DT92.

Comment

Working...
          X