• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • therealfronty
    Automated Home Guru
    • May 2021

Replacing cylinder stat with CS92 - confused by old connection

I was having a look in my wiring centre today to take a look at how the old cylinder stat was wired up (an L641A). I was thinking I could just replace these connections with the switched relay connections from a BDR91 bound for DHW control, but I'm a little confused by the wiring, anyone have any idea why the earth wire is connected to "C" in this pic...?

20210619_114717.jpg

Image 027.jpg

Also on this wiring centre I don't know which terminals are normally open or closed - I assume the BDR91 can be wired across "C" and either "1" or "2", but the current wiring has me completely confused as it looks like the live/neutral is wired across "1" and "2", which I would have thought is the normally open and closed contacts, so how is the current flowing - is it flowing via the earth wire through "C"??? I think I might have to take the L641A apart because the manual says there is no earth, so I wonder what it's connected to?
    Last edited by therealfronty; 19 June 2021, 09:13 PM.
  • therealfronty
    Automated Home Guru
    • May 2021

Oh I think I have answered my own question, good grief, the earth is wired up to the common terminal.

20210619_212120.jpg

Image 028.jpg

Comment

• bruce_miranda
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jul 2014

I was just going to say, looks like someone just used a 3 core flex. Ignore all normal colour coding

Comment

• therealfronty
        Automated Home Guru
        • May 2021

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
        I was just going to say, looks like someone just used a 3 core flex. Ignore all normal colour coding
        Yeah I ended up doing the same when I wired in a BDR91. 🙂

Comment

• bruce_miranda
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jul 2014

The do sell coloured sleeves for a reason :-)

Comment

• therealfronty
            Automated Home Guru
            • May 2021

The wife wonders why I never throw anything out, "Ooooh I think I've got an old bit of wire in the garage that'll do that.... voila!"

Comment

Working...
            X