• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richk
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Apr 2021

Warm weather saver logic?

Hi,

Trying to understand how the warm weather saver logic works.

All rooms have warm weather saver activated and it works great, particularly last week when it was hot. Only had the system a couple of months so this is only my first summer with it.

Anyway I have 2 rooms, both have the same time schedule, and both are set to 18c during the day, and 10c over night. Timings both the same as noted. However one of the rooms is currently at a temperature of 18.5c, and warm weather saver has activated, the other is slightly higher at 19c though warm weather saver has not been activated. Why is this?

If one of the rooms was going to switch to warm weather saver you’d assume it was going to be the room which was registering a temp of 19c, but this is not the case. As mentioned all settings are exactly the same and warm weather saver activated on both these rooms.

This has happened quite a bit with other rooms too over the past few days, rooms activating warm weather saver, but others not activating, though looking at settings you expect the rooms to have switched to warm weather saver.

So what’s the logic?

Cheers,

Richard
  • therealfronty
    Automated Home Guru
    • May 2021

Did you ever figure this out? I've also been trying to understand the warm weather saver logic and can't fathom out why it activates on some rooms and not others (I have it enabled on all zones). I was wondering if there's some learning involved?

Comment

• richk
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Apr 2021

No, but it does the trick. I’ve learnt not to question the logic as the system has reduced my gas consumption by a third since I’ve installed it so I just let it do its thing now.

Comment

• G4RHL
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by richk View Post
        No, but it does the trick. I’ve learnt not to question the logic as the system has reduced my gas consumption by a third since I’ve installed it so I just let it do its thing now.
        I take it you have monitored it to confirm the figure as I think it unlikely to reduce consumption by that much unless the set temperatures are perhaps higher than they need to be. I don’t use it for the opposite reason. The heating can come on when it needn’t.

Comment

• richk
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Apr 2021

Of course I’ve monitored the consumption. I have useage figures for 12 months pre evohome and 12 months with evohome installed. Onto the 2nd full year of evohome and heading for a very similar reduction in useage. Reduction has been significant due to how we can manage room temps/useage. We have a 4 bed house with just two of us in the house. Where previously we had all rooms heated with manually operated TRVs (19 radiators in total)we now only need to heat bedrooms/rooms (12 zones) when necessary according to our usage of rooms. For instance why heat the living room all day when we only occupy it from say 7pm -11pm on a weekday. Pre evohome consumption was 28,275 kWh, with evohome consumption reduced in the first year to 19,229 kWh which equates to 32% reduction. Evohome has allowed us to manage our heating useage perfectly. The system including a bit of installation cost was £2,013. With todays prices I estimate that that the system will currently pay for itself in 2.5-3 years. I am also monitoring kWh unit cost savings against the base year (pre evohome). Big savings being achieved. As of Oct 22 my kWh unit charge (incl VAT) is rising to 10.238p, therefore if I maintain a similar reduction of 9,046kWh over a year that equates to a £926 saving against pre evohome consumption.
          Last edited by richk; 25 September 2022, 11:05 AM.

Comment

• G4RHL
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jan 2015

Thanks. I had understood you to say the weather compensation aspect was reducing your consumption but from your response you are putting it down to Evohome as a whole.

I installed Evohome in December 2014. In 2014 I used 18,190.47 kWhs of gas. In 2015, the first full year of Evohome, I used 17,866.53. That level of consumption has remained reasonably constant except in 2017 it dropped to 14, 903.10. I don't know why. In 2018 it went up to 19,773.10 but that was the Beast from the East year. In February 2021 I replaced our 20+ year old boiler with a new Intergas one and 2021 saw consumption at 14,125.88. Compared to 17,608 the year before. The result of a new boiler properly set up to condense and run at 99% efficiency. For the first 8 months of this year it has been 6,753.11. So nowhere near the drop that you tell us. Thus, yes I have seen a drop following installing Evohome but not massive. I never expected it would be but it has now, 8 years on, covered the cost (self install).

I think other users of Evohome report something similar to me. It may be therefore that a lot of your drop in consumption is due to something different. The system works well and I think part of the larger drop following the new boiler is also due to having Opentherm set up. I am by the way in a 4 bedroomed detached house in the North England.

Comment

• richk
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Apr 2021

Yes to confirm I’m talking the whole system in general and because I’m achieving good savings I gave up trying to fathom the logic.

Boiler has not been changed, it was only 3 years old when we moved in. Savings are down to being able to manage and schedule room heating requirements (and hot water) for the way we use the house and occupy spaces. My children only come every other week so their bedrooms and bathroom only need heating every other week for instance.

The control I have with the system now would be unachievable with manual TRVs. I can set schedules and set points according to room usage, and if that changes it can be adjusted quite quickly via the app or local control in a room.

For instance the utility room only needs a set point of 18c and to be at that temp from 8am till 11pm, whereas the adjacent kitchen has a higher temp and different time schedule.

Previously all rooms were being heated at say no3 on the TRV, and rooms were being heated unnecessarily, this is why I opted to install evohome - and it’s working out.

The house is 10 years old so well insulated.

Would my neighbour who has the same house and 3 kids living there achieve the same level of savings, probably not, as more of his rooms are occupied on a daily basis.
              Last edited by richk; 25 September 2022, 12:36 PM.

Comment

• G4RHL
                Automated Home Legend
                • Jan 2015

Evohome does work well. I am sure how you have configured settings around the house is the same principle adopted by all "Evohomers"!

As you have inherited the boiler, if you have not already done so, check that the CH flow setting is no more than 70C. 65C works OK. Plus the power rating in the boiler is set to its lowest level possible. Mine goes down to 6.4kWh where it is set. I'd lower further if I could. Not many properties need much more than this.

Comment

• killa47
                  Automated Home Guru
                  • Jan 2016

Originally posted by therealfronty View Post
                  Did you ever figure this out? I've also been trying to understand the warm weather saver logic and can't fathom out why it activates on some rooms and not others (I have it enabled on all zones). I was wondering if there's some learning involved?
                  Can I add my two-penneth on this. I have set three zones with warm weather saver but only the house bathroom (upstairs) switches into warm weather mode, often when the set temp is around 17.5C.
                  However, the other two zones (conservatory and adjacent snug) never switch into warm weather. Yet those zones receive east facing sunshine whenever it's about.
                  So only one of three zones react to the warm weather setting.

Anybody got ideas for this?

Comment

• kevinsmart
                    Automated Home Ninja
                    • Sep 2018

This is how it works according to Resideo:

The feature is activated when the outside temperature gets close to or exceeds the room setpoint when the room temperature is already within 0.5C of setpoint. As you've noticed, the 'close to' threshold changes from room to room based on how the stat has calculated the heat loss of the room, so more stable rooms should kick into the mode sooner.

Comment

• killa47
                      Automated Home Guru
                      • Jan 2016

Thanks Kevinsmart. That makes perfect sense now.

Comment

Working...
                      X