• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • therealfronty
    Automated Home Guru
    • May 2021

Winter's coming!

Evohome doing a nice job at the moment, I guess the percentages will start to creep up as the evenings get cooler...

20210929_205719.jpg

20210929_205732.jpg
  • bruce_miranda
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2014

I too finally had to turn the heating on to come tomorrow morning for the first time. I'll be watching my UFH and the new HM80 that I installed to control it. Let's see how that goes.

Comment

• therealfronty
      Automated Home Guru
      • May 2021

When we had the conservatory built they did give us the option of installing UFH but I was nervous about the cost of leccy to power it so didn't bother in favour of two stonking great radiators - the rads do a great job of heating it but I often wonder just how much UFH would have cost to run - I was paying 15p/kwh for leccy but now my energy provider has gone bust I have no idea how much the unit price will be now - how expensive do you find it running your UFH in terms of extra £ per month?

Comment

• bruce_miranda
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jul 2014

Originally posted by therealfronty View Post
        When we had the conservatory built they did give us the option of installing UFH but I was nervous about the cost of leccy to power it so didn't bother in favour of two stonking great radiators - the rads do a great job of heating it but I often wonder just how much UFH would have cost to run - I was paying 15p/kwh for leccy but now my energy provider has gone bust I have no idea how much the unit price will be now - how expensive do you find it running your UFH in terms of extra £ per month?
        Electric UFH is an absolute waste of money. It shouldn't actually be used for anything other than taking the chill off the tiles in a small bathroom. Never as the main source of heat even in those rooms. When I had an extension put in, I went for a proper wet UFH in the entire ground flow and that actually reduces the gas bills as opposed to radiators. Simply because you can turn the boiler down, so you no longer need the 50C+ flows. UFH on the ground floor also helps with the upper floors too.

Comment

• G4RHL
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jan 2015

In the UK a I understand that our Building Regulations do not permit the addition of radiators in a conservatory off the central heating system. I did have one, installed prior to the change in regulations some years ago. I have now removed it as the system struggled and installed a free standing electric radiator which is super efficient and cost of running it is marginal.

Comment

• therealfronty
            Automated Home Guru
            • May 2021

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
            In the UK a I understand that our Building Regulations do not permit the addition of radiators in a conservatory off the central heating system. I did have one, installed prior to the change in regulations some years ago. I have now removed it as the system struggled and installed a free standing electric radiator which is super efficient and cost of running it is marginal.
            Oh that's interesting, conservatory was built some 15+ years ago, any idea when those regs came in?

Comment

• therealfronty
              Automated Home Guru
              • May 2021

I'm finding references to pre- and post-2008 regs, but struggling to find specific info about the pre-2008 regs, will keep digging.

Comment

• G4RHL
                Automated Home Legend
                • Jan 2015

Oh that's interesting, conservatory was built some 15+ years ago, any idea when those regs came in?
                It was after the Fensa Regulations which c hanged the type of glass used in double glazing and increased the cavity thereof. They were 2002. I think it was some years later. I see someone else has posted suggesting 2008. That could be right.
                Last edited by G4RHL; 30 September 2021, 03:55 PM.

Comment

• mtmcgavock
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Mar 2017

So far i've resisted putting it back on. We've had the lounge rad on tonight (Beauty of Evo) and the Towel Rails come on as they would throughout summer. Hoping to get a few more days yet before the full system goes back on

Really could probably do with doing a full system test.

Comment

• mtmcgavock
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Mar 2017

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
                    Don't think anyone really ever adheres to that rule

Comment

Working...
                    X