Thread: Wiring an Evohome BDR91 to Hallway Thermostat - Which wires go where?

Automated Home Lurker

Default Wiring an Evohome BDR91 to Hallway Thermostat - Which wires go where?

Hello there,

I am installing my Honeywell EvoHome in our new house and it should be easy. All I need to do is replace the Hallway Thermostat (Honeywell T6360B) with the Wireless Relay box (BDR91). However, I am not sure which wires from the old thermostat go into which places in the BDR91. As shown in the photo the hallway thermostat has four wires (inc the earth) and these go into locations 1, 2 and 4. I can work out which ones go to N and L in the BDR91, but do I need a 'switching live' (i.e. a separate wire from L to A), or where does the thrid wire from the hallway thermostat go into?

We have an Ideal Logic Heat 30 boiler, not a combie as we have a separate hot water tank.

Any help will be super appreciated.20211002_152336.jpg

Cheers, Stewart

Automated Home Ninja

1 is L red
    2 is N blue
    3 is switched L to boiler yellow

BDR91:
    Connect L and N
    Bridge L to A
    B to boiler yellow

Automated Home Jr Member

Why are you installing the BDR in the hall? You could directly install the bdr into the wiring centre which I would guess is located next to your hot water cylinder, and then have a clean wall in your home

Automated Home Guru

I replaced my wall mounted room stat with the Evotouch panel and used the old thermostat wiring to provide the DC for the panel (using the wall mount kit). The wiring should go to your wiring centre, so you can disconnect it from there and connect it to the transformer output. Then connect the roomstat contacts in the wiring centre to the switched contacts on the heating BDR. You'll already have 240 volts up there so you can wire in the L & N feed to the BDR91 and the transformer. Jobs a goodun.

20210708_205912.jpg

add-evo-to-sundial.jpg
    Last edited by therealfronty; 18th October 2021 at 10:31 AM.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by therealfronty View Post
    I replaced my wall mounted room stat with the Evotouch panel and used the old thermostat wiring to provide the DC for the panel (using the wall mount kit). The wiring should go to your wiring centre, so you can disconnect it from there and connect it to the transformer output. Then connect the roomstat contacts in the wiring centre to the switched contacts on the heating BDR. You'll already have 240 volts up there so you can wire in the L & N feed to the BDR91 and the transformer. Jobs a goodun.

20210708_205912.jpg

add-evo-to-sundial.jpg
    I did something similar. I removed the original wall thermostat, installed the BDR91 back near the wiring centre and re-used the old thermostat wires for power for the Evotouch wall mount.

Although in my case I didn't have room for the transformer as there was no back box so I'm sending the low voltage DC across the old wires and the transformer is back in the wiring centre.

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    Although in my case I didn't have room for the transformer as there was no back box so I'm sending the low voltage DC across the old wires and the transformer is back in the wiring centre.
    Yep that's what I did. I just installed a wall mounted back box and blanking plate in the airing cupboard to house the transformer.