Thread: Evohome not turning radiators on

Automated Home Sr Member

Default Evohome not turning radiators on

The heating has been off all winter. The boiler has just been coming to heat the hot water twice a day. We have just turned the heating on by the controller and nothing is happening. The zone relays are not turning on and the radiator valves have moved to their proper temps but the relay is not kicking in. . The relays turn on and off if I press the button. I have also tried using the app and it makes no difference. Can anyone please help?
    Last edited by Tigermad; 8th October 2021 at 07:51 PM.

Automated Home Ninja

What zone heating demands do you see in the Installer menu (long press Settings)?

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by kevinsmart View Post
    What zone heating demands do you see in the Installer menu (long press Settings)?
    All my zones are listed along with stored hot water. They all say 0% though.

Automated Home Sr Member

Also when I manually turn the relay on, the green light comes on and the boiler turns on but none of the radiators are heating up.

Automated Home Ninja

If there is no heating demand 0% then the boiler won’t fire and the radiator valves won’t open.

Try setting zone(s) 2C above the current temperature reading to test whether they heat up.

Automated Home Guru

How are you getting on, do you have heat yet?

I am getting more and more instances of the boiler doing short cycling now, it happens where there is very low demand (typically less than 10%) and the TRVs aren't open enough to let any water flow, the bypass rad doesn't dump enough heat to stop the boiler locking out when the water overheats. It's very frustrating, I wish there was a way to stop the boiler firing with such low demands but I have no option to control that. I remember there is a setting somewhere when you have a boiler relay configured, but you seem to lose that setting when you configure two BDRs in a Y-plan configuration. It's so frustrating hearing the boiler firing for just 10-20 seconds then shutting down.

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by therealfronty View Post
    I am getting more and more instances of the boiler doing short cycling now, it happens where there is very low demand (typically less than 10%) and the TRVs aren't open enough to let any water flow, the bypass rad doesn't dump enough heat to stop the boiler locking out when the water overheats. It's very frustrating, I wish there was a way to stop the boiler firing with such low demands but I have no option to control that. I remember there is a setting somewhere when you have a boiler relay configured, but you seem to lose that setting when you configure two BDRs in a Y-plan configuration. It's so frustrating hearing the boiler firing for just 10-20 seconds then shutting down.
    Having just moved from Y-plan to S-plan, I'm noticing short cycling more now, mainly because the time delay between relay switch on and boiler ignition is longer due to valve delay. Before adding DHW to my Evohome installation, I'm sure I could adjust the TPI parameters, and so was currently considering experimenting with that. However, your comment has caused me to look at my settings, and yes, I can no longer see where they can be adjusted.

Do you have an automatic bypass valve fitted, or just the bypass radiator?

Automated Home Guru

Just a radiator.