Honeywell APP/API seems to be 'lagging' ...since the clocks went back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MJNewton
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jan 2021

Honeywell APP/API seems to be 'lagging' ...since the clocks went back?

I hope I can explain this well enough... First off, what I think are the pertinent aspects of my setup:

Thermostat: Honeywell T6
    Honeywell Home App: v6.9.0 - 509000965
    API Version: 2
    Schedule:

Code:
    Mon - Fri:
    00:00 - 07:00 15°C
    07:00 - 19:00 20°C
    19:00 - 21:30 20°C
    21:30 - 00:00 15°C
    For the past couple of mornings whilst having my breakfast at ~07:30 I noticed that the Honeywell Home App was say it was 16.5°C and yet the heating had been on for half an hour and it should've been up to temperature. It certainly *felt* up to temperature and sure enough both the T6 and a seperate thermometer in the room were both saying 20°C. Not only was the app saying the current temperature was 16.5°C but it said that it was 'Following Schedule' and that the target temperature was 15°C. It's as if the app didn't realise it had reached the 07:00 switchover yet...

I checked the API output too and that too was giving the wrong information. Have a look at this snippet:

Code:
      "dataSyncStatus": "Completed",
            "units": "Celsius",
            "indoorTemperature": 16.5,
            "outdoorTemperature": 4,
            "allowedModes": [
              "Heat",
              "Off"
            ],
            "deadband": 0,
            "hasDualSetpointStatus": false,
            "minHeatSetpoint": 5,
            "maxHeatSetpoint": 35,
            "minCoolSetpoint": -18,
            "maxCoolSetpoint": -18,
            "changeableValues": {
              "mode": "Heat",
              "heatSetpoint": 15,
              "coolSetpoint": 19,
              "thermostatSetpointStatus": "NoHold",
              "nextPeriodTime": "07:00:00",
              "heatCoolMode": "Heat",
              "endHeatSetpoint": null,
              "endCoolSetpoint": null
    It too was saying the current temperature was 16.5°C and, crucially perhaps, that the *next* time period in the schedule was 07:00:00. This was at 07:30 though!

At first I wondered if the app and API had just 'lost contact' with the thermostat but both of them could control the stat perfectly well (e.g. turn it off, back on again etc) and as I say this same thing happened yesterday morning too.

Anyone any idea what's happening here, and why it has seemingly only just started happening now and not during the past six months I've had this running for? I can't help but feel that it is related to the clocks here going back an hour four days ago (31st Oct), particularly as when I re-checked the app and API just after 08:00 I got this:

Code:
     "dataSyncStatus": "Completed",
            "units": "Celsius",
            "indoorTemperature": 20,
            "outdoorTemperature": 3.5,
            "allowedModes": [
              "Heat",
              "Off"
            ],
            "deadband": 0,
            "hasDualSetpointStatus": false,
            "minHeatSetpoint": 5,
            "maxHeatSetpoint": 35,
            "minCoolSetpoint": -18,
            "maxCoolSetpoint": -18,
            "changeableValues": {
              "mode": "Heat",
              "heatSetpoint": 20,
              "coolSetpoint": 16,
              "thermostatSetpointStatus": "NoHold",
              "nextPeriodTime": "19:00:00",
              "heatCoolMode": "Heat",
              "endHeatSetpoint": null,
              "endCoolSetpoint": null
    Now it has seemingly 'caught up', is showing the correct room temperature (20°C) as the stat and everything else sees it, and also now correctly knows that we've past the 07:00 changeover and the next schedule period is 19:00.

Anyone else seeing/noticed this? I think it might only be obviously apparent within an hour after a scheduled changeover - and I'll check again this evening at 19:30 when it should say 'nextPeriodTime' is 21:30 but I bet it'll still say 19:00.

Noting that Honeywell is an American company I see that the US aren't due to switch clocks back until 7th November... If it is switchover related I reckon this issue might well resolve itself then as I am wondering if Honeywell's database is timestamping things in US time and despite the timezone and DST settings being correct on my device it isn't being accommodated correctly i.e. they haven't correctly dealt with the fact that the whole world doesn't perform its daylight saving switchover at the same time. If so, whilst a bit poor and annoying it would mean I should only get this issue for a week (or two I suppose if our spring changeovers aren't in sync!) every year?

For what it's worth, here's the timezone-related info from the API output:

Code:
    "timeZone": "GMT Standard Time",
        "ianaTimeZone": "Europe/London",
        "daylightSavingTimeEnabled": true,
    I'd be very interested to see if others in the UK or Europe (who also wound the clocks back on 31st Oct) are seeing their API/app output 'out of sync' for an hour after every scheduled switchover...
    Last edited by MJNewton; 4 November 2021, 10:10 AM.
  • MJNewton
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jan 2021

To follow-up on this, as half expected the issue has now resolved itself with the US having put their clocks back (at 2am this morning). For what it's worth I'll drop Resideo an email as whilst fault-finding might be difficult now there might be enough info for them to look into it, which might indeed be them concluding user error and advising me what I'd done wrong!

Comment

• MJNewton
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Jan 2021

I spoke too soon with the issue resolving itself following the US putting its clocks back - it only lasted a day!

I decided to get in touch with Honeywell via Twitter (and felt like my Dad doing so - I didn't really know what I was doing but my email didn't get a reply so thought it worth a shot!) and they replied and we went through some troubleshooting, culminating in removing the device from Honeywell Home and re-adding it (and getting new keys etc for API access). This was nearly a week ago now and it's been fine ever since. They're not sure exactly what the issue was but think it might've been related to some backend server changes they made a couple of weeks ago.

Comment

• G4RHL
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jan 2015

I have not had the issue you mention but since we went back to GMT my heating comes on about 1 minute before the set time. In the past it was slightly after. It is only one minute though and not worth concern. Clearly the clock updating has caused this. Now I wait to see if stays this way.

Comment

Working...
        X