Electric heating and hot water automation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fred Bloggs
    Automated Home Lurker
    • May 2017

Electric heating and hot water automation?

Good evening all. Having tried searching the forums for similar threads I have an inkling I am going to be disapointed with the present state of the art for automating electric heating. However here's my dilemna.....

My daughter has an apartment with 13amp fused spurs connecting a 3kw immersion heater, 2 x 1kw and 1 x 3kw panel heaters, and a 400w towel rail. To my astonishment, there seems no suitable smart fused spur outlets available that can switch upto 13amps load.

LightwaveRF manufacture a 13amp spur, but amazingly it is not fused so cannot be used for the purpose they advertise it for! I have tried talking to LightwaveRF but they aren't interested in fusing the spur they manufacture. Very odd because it could be a blockbuster product! I would immediately buy probably ten of them if they made them.

What's going on in the industry when there's tens of thousands of apartments out there with electric water and space heating but no home automation systems readily available to control them?

Is there any half sensible way that we can automate my daughter's water and space heating using off the shelf equipment? Apple Home compatibility would be nice but a simple iOS app driven system would suffice. Thanks for the input.

FB
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Have a look at the Shelly range of products.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Fred Bloggs
      Automated Home Lurker
      • May 2017

Thank you. I will take a look today.

Cheers

FB

Comment

• Fred Bloggs
        Automated Home Lurker
        • May 2017

Originally posted by toscal View Post
        Have a look at the Shelly range of products.
        Thank you very much for this suggestion. It seems there's a few Shelly devices there that will switch the loads
        I want.

A couple of things spring to mind - If seems there's no UK support for the Shelly devices? The Shelly Cloud app gets a majority of one star reviews in the Google App store? That's not terrific if there's no support in the UK for Shelly devices.

Thanks again, those devices are potentially exactly what I need.

Cheers

FB

Comment

• toscal
          • Oct 2005

The Shelly app works well, And you can also access the devices via a webpage as well. Don't know why the app gets bad reviews. For me setting up and linking to Alexa just worked, about the nearest you can get to plug and play. Also you don't need the app to set up the devices. See my post on getting Shelly devices to work with Loxone for how to setup Shelly devices with out the app.
          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Fred Bloggs
            Automated Home Lurker
            • May 2017

Originally posted by toscal View Post
            The Shelly app works well, And you can also access the devices via a webpage as well. Don't know why the app gets bad reviews. For me setting up and linking to Alexa just worked, about the nearest you can get to plug and play. Also you don't need the app to set up the devices. See my post on getting Shelly devices to work with Loxone for how to setup Shelly devices with out the app.
            Thank you. Good to hear about first hand experience.

I have found a UK reseller at https://shellystore.co.uk/ . Is this anyone known here? I am rather put off by there being no physical address or landline contact number on the website. Nor is there any company details or vat registration given. Not saying the website is a scam, but it's not very good if you can't call for advice prior to ordering.

I am looking for some advice regarding which devices best suit the particular applications we have and then I will find a local electrician to install for me. I am attracted to the DIN rail devices since that means no need to touch anything outside of the electrical distribution box. If they fit a standard UK main distribution panel, that is! Looks like a good solution.

Thank you for your ongoing interest and sharing your experience. Much appreciated.

FB

Comment

• toscal
              • Oct 2005

The UK shelly store is an official shelly store/partner.
              Just try and contact them using their online contact form, and see if they reply.

I used to have a website for my business, but had to remove the phone number. The number of nuisance calls I got from people trying to sell me stuff was unbelievable. At one point I was getting two or more a day. Removed my phone number and within a month the calls stopped. So can understand why they haven't posted one.
              Last edited by toscal; 16 November 2021, 11:54 PM.
              Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Fred Bloggs
                Automated Home Lurker
                • May 2017

Thanks for the feedback, appreciated. I generally won't order from a website that has no details like company registration number, vat number, physical address, landline number etc..... Absence of those details doesn't fill me with confidence for a business that's unknown to me. But since you recommend it, I will give it a shot. Thank you for your ongoing interest. Much appreciated.

FB

Comment

• toscal
                  • Oct 2005

I wouldn't say I recommend them. But they are an official partner. You could try Amazon UK as well.
                  Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Fred Bloggs
                    Automated Home Lurker
                    • May 2017

Understood, thanks.

Will look at Amazon UK too.

Cheers.

FB

Comment

• toscal
                      • Oct 2005

Also there is now a European Shelly support website
                      Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
                      X