Smart light switches: set brightness on switch actuation based on time of day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Konsta819
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Sep 2021

Smart light switches: set brightness on switch actuation based on time of day?

Hello!

Im looking for some suggestions on smart light switches. I would like to set things up so that if the light switch is pressed late at night, the switches come on dimmed, rather than at full brightness.

This seemed like something that should be easy to achieve, and I had expected it would work on my Lightwave switches or through Smartthings. But unless I’m not seeing it, neither can do this.

Does anyone know if any of the other switches on the market can be set up this way? Broadlink?

Looking for something with no neutral required. I know Hue can do it, but I would prefer to control things with fixed-in light switches, rather than glueing Hue Dimmers etc to the wall in the general vicinity of the ‘normal’ switch.

Many thanks
  • benwillcox
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Apr 2020

You can do this with Shelly Dimmer 2 modules: https://shellystore.co.uk/product/shelly-dimmer-2/
    You can use your existing conventional light switches wired to the Dimmer 2 and configured in 'edge mode' to operate it on/off, with dimming via the app or Google Home/Alexa.
    Or you can replace your switched with one way or two way momentary switches so that you can dim directly from the switch as well as on/off.
    The app allows you to set a time range for 'night mode', where you specify a time range and brightness level and when the light is switched on within that time range, it comes on at your selected brightness (i.e. dimmer) rather than full.

Comment

Working...
    X