• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kryten22uk
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Oct 2021

Strange BDR91 comms loss situation

I have two BDR91s in my cloakroom, one controls the hot water motorised valve, and one controls the heating valve. They are 40cm apart, 80cm away from a megaflo cylinder and away from any electricity wiring or metal objects. The only thing between the relays and the EvoHome controller is a normal internal block wall.

The hot water relay works fine, but the heating relay shows solid red light comms fault. The RF Comms Check signal shows a full 5 flashes on the hot water relay, but no flashes on the heating relay. However, if I go in the room and stand nearish the heating relay, then it gets 2 flashes. But goes back to zero if i leave the room again.

There is nothing in the siting that could really differentiate the signal from one or the other. The hot water relay is the 'furthest' away, by virtue of it being another 40cm along the wall than the heating relay. But as above, there is nothing but free clear air between them, and no metal.

Is it a wonky BDR?

See below picture
    Attached Files
  • therealfronty
    Automated Home Guru
    • May 2021

It does sound a bit odd, but I noticed that you drew your blue line through the hinge of the door on the other side of the partition, could it be something like the hinges or metalwork interfering with the signal, if you stand near it you may be acting as a reflector, which might explain why you then see a weak signal. I'd be tempted to try and move the heating BDR if you can, maybe relocate it underneath or above the HW BDR so the signal doesn't have to go through the hinges or door metalwork? You could try sticking it to the wall with some double sided sticky pads or even blu-tack if you wanted to check without drilling any new holes. It might sound crazy but wifi signals work best when they are "line of sight" - even if they have to go through walls that's fine so long as there's no metallic objects in the way, it's why Honeywell are so anal about locating the BDRs far enough away from the HW cylinder or other metallic objects (because they can also cause reflections and obstructions).

Comment

• kryten22uk
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Oct 2021

Hmm, that would be monumentally bad luck, to just hit that hinge in the line of sight! I've just had the sparky move the darned BRD to this new position as he had installed a new metal consumer unit right next to the BRDs original position. So maybe 3rd time lucky with the positioning.

Comment

• therealfronty
        Automated Home Guru
        • May 2021

Well don't quote me, it could also be faulty... to be honest I would just unscrew it from the wall and try moving it, don't really need a sparky, so long as the flex is long enough you won't need to unscrew the wires. The lid on the BDR just flips up then can get access to the mounting screws on the backplate. Turn off the power to the boiler first.

Comment

Working...
        X