• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skwerl
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Oct 2016

TRV not opening fully

I have a problem with at least one HR92 actuator. With the actuator fully open, the rad valve is not fully open. It's open most of the way but it still restricts flow slightly and this impacts the amount of heat the rad can put out.
    I use Honeywell Valencia TRVs. Should I assume that, when the HR92 actuator is fully open, it shouldn't be applying any pressure to the TRV pin?
    Last edited by skwerl; 29 November 2021, 05:06 PM.
  • bruce_miranda
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2014

The HR92 has a variable stroke setting to deal with situations like this. try that first.

Comment

• skwerl
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Oct 2016

This is with the HR92 head removed and only the actuator body left in place. Ie the black wheel that drives the pin. In fully open position it is pressing on the TRV pin slightly

Comment

• bruce_miranda
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jul 2014

Ah, yes I have heard of people report this issue. Besides the obvious fixes, I thought I heard of a collar that might be available to increase the distance between the TRV pin and the HR92 pin.
        One more reason why I recently stuck with the Pegler valves. They have just worked flawlessly for me.

Comment

• skwerl
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Oct 2016

Yeah. They come with various collars but being Honeywell Valves you’re supposed to just fit the actuator directly. I’m going to email Honeywell and ask for their input. It’s only a minor problem on rads that are towards the end of the circuits.

Comment

• benwillcox
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Apr 2020

I had the same problem with some 'decorative' type TRV bodies, you could hear a little bit of restriction when the HR92 was fully open.
            The easiest solution I decided was to simply remove the steel pin from the toothed black wheel on the valve adapter (it pulls straight out by hand) and grind about 0.5 to 1mm off the end using my bench grinder. Job done.

Comment

• skwerl
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Oct 2016

Yeah. I thought of that as a last option. It’s more a point of principle that HW valves don’t seem to work as well as they should with their own actuators. And I can’t be arsed! I mailed HW support to hear what they have to say

Comment

• benwillcox
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Apr 2020

Yes it does seem a bit odd that you are getting the issue with Valencias. In our last place when I first installed an Evohome system I installed Valencia bodies and they worked perfectly, so I wonder if maybe you have a dodgy batch.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by skwerl View Post
                  Yeah. I thought of that as a last option. It’s more a point of principle that HW valves don’t seem to work as well as they should with their own actuators. And I can’t be arsed! I mailed HW support to hear what they have to say
                  I assume you haven't read my thread on this issue:

I installed Valencia's and same as you found they don't work properly with the HR92 by default!

In the end I used Stroke 1 mode on all my HR92's and they work fine now. Regarding the pin travel, they have a lot more pin travel than other brand valves however this is due to the threaded insert which allows balancing to be performed on the same valve as the TRV instead of at the lockshield valve as is traditionally the case.

I don't recommend balancing the radiator using the balancing insert when using an HR92 - just unscrew the insert until it comes lose then turn it back in slightly. This will give the appearance that the HR92 adaptor is pressing the pin down slightly even when fully extended but this is only travel that would have been removed by adjusting the balancing insert anyway.

Check out the photos a few posts down in that thread.

Comment

• skwerl
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Oct 2016

Yeah. I realised early on that the balancing “screw” seems like a nice idea but doesn’t work as well as a lockshield, so I leave them fully backed out. I’d refer to that as fully open and so the HR92 shouldn’t add any restriction at all. The difference is about 5 degrees C when the HR92 actuator wheel is fitted vs the Valencia in its bare form. Maybe on the Valencia, position 0 is supposed to be applying some pressure on the pin. But there are no instructions as to how to set the Valencia to 0 - my assumption was that 0 was when no pressure is felt and the valve is truly fully open

Comment

• skwerl
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Oct 2016

Quick update. My hopes weren’t high but I contracted Honeywell support anyway. My hopes weren’t disappointed. They sent me loads of installation guides that were totally irrelevant, whilst mentioning several times that they recommend getting a qualified engineer in to help. I told them to re-read the case notes. They then said I should check the stroke parameter. I told them to re-read the case notes. They then told me to get a professional to check the TRV body is correctly installed and also to check the HR92 valve wheel is correctly installed. When I read that I gave up

Comment

• therealfronty
                        Automated Home Guru
                        • May 2021

Originally posted by skwerl View Post
                        When I read that I gave up
                        When they close the case you'll get a survey, so you can say you are dissatisfied, which they will probably ignore.

Happy days.

Comment

• skwerl
                          Automated Home Jr Member
                          • Oct 2016

Originally posted by therealfronty View Post
                          When they close the case you'll get a survey, so you can say you are dissatisfied, which they will probably ignore.

Happy days.
                          Yep - not sure they give a toss. It was just canned response without even considering my description of the issue.
                          They don't seem to listen to customers. if they did then they Evohome product might have advanced further than "an asthmatic ant with some heavy shopping"

Comment

Working...
                          X