X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CT1
    Automated Home Guru
    • Apr 2016

Have to agree with MajorDanby. The physics is clear, heat loss is proportional to temperature differential, so for economy turn off when not required. No ifs, no buts.

Perceived comfort is a different matter and some people may not feel comfortable until the thermal mass has stabilised at the required temperature. Thus for comfort, they may prefer to maintain a higher base level of heating, even though it uses more energy overall.

Just to be pedantic (there’s always one) an object cannot emit cold, only absorb or emit heat. Although of course, it feels as if cold is being emitted even though in fact heat is being absorbed. Sorry, I will shut up now.
    Last edited by CT1; 7 December 2021, 04:21 PM.

Comment

• rd99
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Dec 2021

Originally posted by Mid112 View Post
      Hello,

Whats everyone view on a temperature of a living room when unused at night?

I was keeping it at 18C at night, i think if i go lower takes too long to the living room to heat up in the morning.

Cheers
      Tend to let the temperature drop downstairs as it wants - never gets much below 17C though except in really cold weather. Wouldn't like it to get much below 14 C in fact for no really good reason except that I have a uninformed worry that too much temperature cycling is not good structurally ( I know it sounds crazy ).

In fact, due to mobility issue, we spend most time upstairs so rapid heat up in the morning isn't a issue for us.

Been researching smart heating and certain to install Evohome sometime soon. Interim, I spend a lot of time tweaking the Danfoss TRV's to get, 18-19 downstairs in the day and about 21 upstairs. We just have three zones d/stairs: lounge/diner, kitchen and hall - the hall is odd in that it is always warm since it has the bypass rad in it ( always on - no TRV ).

Def. need to get a grip on the heating especially with the hikes in prices.

On fuel economy, it definitely saves money reducing any temperatures you can - its just physics ( I was/am involved with heat transfer in electrical machines and their enclosures ). Its interesting that the same question keeps coming up in camper/motorhome forums - the answer is the same - reduce heating if you can - only heat water when you want it - if your aim is to save money. I don't like the cold though so we have to pay for the extra heat.

richard
      Last edited by rd99; 10 December 2021, 11:37 PM.

Comment

• gordonb3
        Automated Home Ninja
        • Dec 2016

I suppose this will mostly depend on how much heat the boiler can generate. In my case I am on city heating and that is practically unlimited heat supply. In the cold season I heat the children's bedrooms when they go to bed and at wakeup time and it takes only about 10-15 minutes of heat demand to get the rooms from 15 to 19 using a standard rad.

In the living room we have UFH. The floor itself is a mix of styrofoam and cement, I think some 50cm thick, this is standard building method in The Netherlands. Normally this is topped with some 10cm of cement but in our case we first have a heat reflective layer and the UFH tubes and then the cement top. Prior to getting Evohome we never witnessed the room dropping below 16C and that is what I set as the `not in use` temperature and I actually have that set from 9:00PM already.

Comment

• mtmcgavock
          Automated Home Legend
          • Mar 2017

I drop mine to 16oc at night, which it very rarely gets to. I usually sits at around 18/19oc at night. It is a very well insulated house though.

I've actually done extensive testing with ours, and it's cheaper to leave the heating on all day in an unoccupied house than just morning/night timings. I'm actually going to go one step further to test if it's cheaper to leave on 24/7 (Which I suspect it might be). However like I said, we've got really good insulation and triple glazing so the heat loss is very minimal.

Comment

• G4RHL
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jan 2015

My heating is set to 10c overnight with the main bedroom and living room only set to come on at 06:00 at 19c. During winter months over night the rooms drop by about 5C from what they were when we go to bed. A little more if the outside temperature drops very low but even when outside is -1C the rooms overnight only drop to 14c or thereabouts. Thus set at 10c nothing comes on. When it does come on the chill in the air goes within 30 minutes and some heat can be sensed even if the room is not up to temperature. I never use optimisation as it always seemed to bring the heating on too early. A waste.

I was away from home recently for 2 nights and switched it all off. Monitoring it from afar the whole house equalised in temperature and all rooms were reading about 12c on the third day with an outside temperature of 5C.

What I notice with OpenTherm in operation is the boiler flow temperature starts at 70c but once up to temperature or near to it, it steps back. I often notice the flow temperature just below 40c with everything at it’s set temperature. Usually about 38c.

Comment

Working...
            X