Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Living room temp at night

Automated Home Jr Member

Default Living room temp at night

Hello,

Whats everyone view on a temperature of a living room when unused at night?

I was keeping it at 18C at night, i think if i go lower takes too long to the living room to heat up in the morning.

Cheers

Automated Home Jr Member

Hello,
    what is a daily temperature?

it all depends of room conditions... is it well insulated, how many rads, whats the area...
    but setting it too low might create false impression of making savings...

anyways - you can try with optimization->optimum start where heating starts in advance to be ready with desired temp on the given time.

what I observe on underfloor heating it makes very little sense to lower night temp more that one degree. heating up in the morning takes too long.

Automated Home Jr Member

Its a bit tricky.

We usually have it set between 19-20 during day.

Its a combined living room and digning room with 2 separate heaters (2 different zones following the same heating pattern)

Due to co concreate floor under the laminate board the heat lose is quite high i suspect

Automated Home Guru

All mine effectively goes off at night (set to 8 degrees). But rely on Optimum start to have the rooms at temperature I want when I want. No guessing about what time to turn things on. And I don't have a very well insulated house.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by lloyd View Post
    All mine effectively goes off at night (set to 8 degrees). But rely on Optimum start to have the rooms at temperature I want when I want. No guessing about what time to turn things on. And I don't have a very well insulated house.
    Same here.

We just turn off all our downstairs zones at night (5C in the schedule) and rely on Optimal start to figure out when to turn them back on again to reach the target temperatures at the desired waking times. Each zone has a different warm up speed so they don't all come on at the same time either.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    Same here.

We just turn off all our downstairs zones at night (5C in the schedule) and rely on Optimal start to figure out when to turn them back on again to reach the target temperatures at the desired waking times. Each zone has a different warm up speed so they don't all come on at the same time either.
    It’s the same here

Automated Home Guru

We turn everything down overnight and just schedule the heating to come on early enough to get the room comfortable for when we need to use it. A well insulated home helps.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    Same here.

this might provide false impression of making savings on heating because is off over night, but sometimes bringing the temp back up will cost more than just keep maintaining bit colder over night...

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by olektrolek View Post
    this might provide false impression of making savings on heating because is off over night, but sometimes bringing the temp back up will cost more than just keep maintaining bit colder over night...
    Yep - ever since I got Evohome back in 2012 I have have scoured the internet along with participating in/watching many a discussion on this forum exactly on this subject - What I have never found to date is a definitive study that could in a controlled situation answer that very question. It is impossible to carry out a study one self due to having to duplicate the two environments in parallel. Just trying to repeat the test in the two methods say over two separate weeks obviously has so many variables weather wise etc etc that makes the comparison nugatory. Love to see a controlled study that could answer this question once and for all though if anyone ever finds one/has found one

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    Love to see a controlled study that could answer this question once and for all though if anyone ever finds one/has found one
    Well SteveP, according to the MSE (Martin Lewis website here: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/energy-saving-myths/), they quote the Energy Saving Trust who say you will be leaking a certain amount of energy to the outside whenever the heating is on therefore the longer you run the heating the more leaks out. Their view is to turn it off when you don't need it.