• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peterf
    Automated Home Guru
    • Jan 2015

IFTTT geofencing problems

I’ve been using IFTTT and it’s geofencing capability to set Evohome to economy when I leave my house for several years. Latterly it’s become unreliable and looking at the logs, the applet has run but the Honeywell evohome component fails with “There was a problem running the action”. Just to note, I’m using the “Honeywell evohome” IFTTT service and I see that there are others called Honeywell Home, Honeywell Single-zone Thermostat and Honeywell Total Connect Comfort, although I haven’t explored those.

I’ve deleted and re-entered both apps – one for leaving and one for returning – and they’ve run successfully at least once so they have been set up correctly but are now regularly failing.

I’m running the IFTTT on an iPhone X and have the non wifi version of the hub linked to a 300Mb symmetric fibre to premises broadband connection. This set up hasn’t changed in years and the problem is recent.

Is anyone else experiencing similar problems and is there an alternative method of automatically enabling/disabling an action based on location?
  • kevinsmart
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Sep 2018

I had IFTTT problems yesterday/today as well. I wasn’t able to reconnect the service until later this afternoon

Comment

• frankmalia
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Apr 2019

Honey well IFTTT function is crap, unless your a single person household..

You need all the family linked in to use this correctly, no point having heating off when I go out but the kids are still in..

The only time this has ever worked is when LIFE 360 had a app, where you had all your family phones linked to it. Worked perfect. Life 360 got rid of applet

There is no easy way to do it correctly.

Unless someone knows of a way.

I've heard of Smart things, but that is not easy to use, so not very smart..

Comment

• MajorDanby
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Jan 2019

I’ve got geofencing set up via SmartThings and it works great.

I wrote a thread about it here:

Comment

• frankmalia
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Apr 2019

Originally posted by MajorDanby View Post
          I’ve got geofencing set up via SmartThings and it works great.

I wrote a thread about it here:
          https://www.wordpress-1219309-438749...rtThings-GUIDE

Like i said that is not easy.. think I looked at your thread and got lost.

Comment

• MajorDanby
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Jan 2019

SmartThings has in built geofencing, the key is setting up an appropriate device that IFTTT can read and therefore use to control Evohome. The way to do this is to use a virtual switch or presence sensor.

I think if this was a physical device it would be a lot easier to visualise I.e a physical presence sensor in the home triggers an action on IFTTT.

I would argue that it is quite easy to do, just very involved and can appear more complicated that it is especially if you are not familiar with SmartThings or the IDE (which in reality is the coding platform that allows you to customise the functionality in that native app)

I’m happy to help out if this is something you would find useful, give me a shout.

Comment

Working...
            X