Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evohome random overrides

Automated Home Guru

Default Evohome random overrides

Every now and then I'll find the heating is blasting in some room that it shouldn't be. If I look at the EvoHome controller it'll show me an override is set.
    It's hard to track down but I am fairly confident I can rule out someone doing it deliberately or tampering with the TRV as it might be the first time anyone has been in the room that day.

Today I found a room was overridden until 9pm at 20C. I do have a program set to 20C from 0800-1000 and 9pm is a later trigger point. Is it possible the system 'misses' the command to run off and erroneously sets the current temperature as an override? Is this any sort of known bug?

It makes me wary to trust a system that might turn my heating on (or off) without being asked. I like the Evohome system a lot but core functionality HAS to be rock solid.

Automated Home Guru

You don't have a cat do you?

Automated Home Jr Member

Set the local overrides to disabled and see if it continues happening, sounds like a kids/partner/pet issue

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MajorDanby View Post
    Set the local overrides to disabled and see if it continues happening, sounds like a kids/partner/pet issue
    Happened again today in several rooms, including some with doors shut and nobody in. I have the heating full blast in 3 rooms which I only just noticed... The cost of gas right now this is probably costing me a non trivial amount.

I think you're suggesting disabling the HR92? Some of them already are but it makes sense, however I can't see this as the cause.

They always override to 20C which makes it seem more like a bug to me

Automated Home Guru

Have you done a search of the forum? I think this may have come up in the past and be related to timing of messages and may need TRVs to be restarted at different times? Apologies if this is a different issue.

Automated Home Jr Member

I've had this happen before, and I came to the conclusion it was related to one of the HR92s rebooting itself and then when it came back on it defaults to 20 degrees. I don't know why it didn't re-sync to the correct temperature as it should do.
    This particular unit would also reboot when knocked slightly, and I suspected that the issue could have been down to dodgy battery terminals and perhaps thermal expansion was causing a bad connection and the unit to reboot itself. I did try tweaking/cleaning the battery terminals and it hasn't happened again for as long as I can remember now, whether it was just a co-incidence I do not know but might be worth checking.

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by benwillcox View Post
    I've had this happen before, and I came to the conclusion it was related to one of the HR92s rebooting itself and then when it came back on it defaults to 20 degrees. I don't know why it didn't re-sync to the correct temperature as it should do.
    This particular unit would also reboot when knocked slightly, and I suspected that the issue could have been down to dodgy battery terminals and perhaps thermal expansion was causing a bad connection and the unit to reboot itself. I did try tweaking/cleaning the battery terminals and it hasn't happened again for as long as I can remember now, whether it was just a co-incidence I do not know but might be worth checking.
    This would certainly make sense, I am assuming the HR92 does not download the schedule from the controller but simply knows the current temp - it is always 20C and the override is always until the next trigger point.

When you replace batteries, you often see the device show as overridden to 20C too, but that tends to be only for a short time until the system catches up.
    I have devices with only a single trigger point all day in the schedule, so a rogue override is in effect up to a whole day. I could set more trigger points (all the same temp) to minimise the effect but it just seems something is dodgy.

What you are describing sounds like you have Cold Weather Boost set, that turns up the temp in one or more rooms when its cold outside. Have a look at this https://support.resideo.com/s/articl...language=en_US

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelD View Post
    What you are describing sounds like you have Cold Weather Boost set, that turns up the temp in one or more rooms when its cold outside. Have a look at this https://support.resideo.com/s/articl...language=en_US
    I've never heard of that before... is it a newer feature? Presumably it uses their best guess from internet weather not an outdoor thermometer module?
    I definitely find I set the temperature lower in summer to get the same comfort so it's a clever idea but I don't think this is the cause of my issue, I'll check properly to be sure.

I think its always been there, since the WiFi version of the controller was introduced. Its all covered in the link I posted, I don't have it on mine, because I have the earlier pre-WiFi controller, but just diagnosed a problem for my daughter who has the later version, she had one room going up to 20 degrees for no apparent reason