• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • haggis999
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Feb 2019

Installing the Evohome Hot Water Kit

Over the past day or two I've got a new Evohome system up and running for control of my radiators. I'm now turning my attention to the installation of the Evohome Hot Water Kit.

One problem has arisen in the early stages of this process. I want to connect the two-wire cable from the cylinder thermostat to the back of the CS92 transceiver, but I'm struggling to separate the two halves of the transceiver to expose the terminal screws. I've already tried levering it open fairly robustly with a screwdriver, but I'm in danger of causing irreparable damage.

Is there a trick to do this without breaking the box? The attached photos might help someone describe the required procedure.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by haggis999; 9 January 2022, 11:26 PM.
  • bruce_miranda
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2014

Open the lid for the batteries and you will see the latch in the battery compartment.

Comment

• haggis999
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Feb 2019

If I remove the batteries, I can see what looks like a pair of latches, but I've not yet succeeded in opening the case. Does it require a degree of force to release those latches?

With one hand holding the unit and the other holding a screwdriver, I can only prise open one latch at a time, but when I do this nothing seems to happen. The two halves of the case stay firmly attached to each other.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by haggis999; 10 January 2022, 12:08 PM.

Comment

• haggis999
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Feb 2019

After many attempts using a flat-bladed screwdriver and a fair degree of downwards force, I finally managed to make one latch stay in the open position while I moved the screwdriver to the other latch. I was then able to open the case.

I don't know if I had a particularly tight example of these latches or if it's just a bad design. Either way, it's been a very frustrating and time-wasting experience!

Comment

• haggis999
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Feb 2019

My next question relates to the location of the CS92 transceiver. I am required to mount it at least 30cm from the cylinder but the cable is not long enough for me to avoid mounting it right beside a 22mm copper pipe. Is that likely to cause any RF connectivity issues, and if so, is it permitted to extend the cable from the CS92 sensor?

Comment

• therealfronty
            Automated Home Guru
            • May 2021

Honeywell can be quite anal about that, personally I would stick it wherever it is convenient using blu-tac or sticky pads - if it works reliably then drill the holes and mount it properly, if it doesn't work then move it elsewhere and keep trying until you find somewhere it work.

Comment

• haggis999
              Automated Home Sr Member
              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by therealfronty View Post
              Honeywell can be quite anal about that, personally I would stick it wherever it is convenient using blu-tac or sticky pads - if it works reliably then drill the holes and mount it properly, if it doesn't work then move it elsewhere and keep trying until you find somewhere it work.
              My ability to move it elsewhere is constrained by the length of the supplied cable. Would the sensor still work correctly if I extended the cable?

Comment

• lloyd
                Automated Home Guru
                • Oct 2020

I've just left mine laying on the floor right next to the cylinder, and it works fine. I had meant to fix it to the wall when I was happy it was working, but never got round to it. And if it isn't broken....

It really depends on distance to controller, building construction etc. whether that 30cm will matter.

Comment

• MajorDanby
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Jan 2019

My 2 BDRS and CS92 are nowhere near 30cm apart or from metal objects. It just isn’t realistic in my airing cupboard. They work perfectly fine.

This may not be the case in every installation of this manner and if something does go wrong it will be one of the first things people ask so you take that risk.

I’d give it a go with sticky pads as suggested and if it doesn’t work then move it

Comment

• haggis999
                    Automated Home Sr Member
                    • Feb 2019

Originally posted by MajorDanby View Post
                    My 2 BDRS and CS92 are nowhere near 30cm apart or from metal objects. It just isn’t realistic in my airing cupboard. They work perfectly fine.

This may not be the case in every installation of this manner and if something does go wrong it will be one of the first things people ask so you take that risk.

I’d give it a go with sticky pads as suggested and if it doesn’t work then move it
                    It looks like no one has any experience of extending the cable, which I fear would affect the sensor signal, so I'll take the advice to just experiment with the location of my CS92 transceiver.

My heating BDR91 is currently just lying on the floor outside my airing cupboard. When I install the hot water BDR91, I was aiming to mount both BDRs on the external wall of my airing cupboard. Apart from making the 30cm spacing easy, I thought it might be useful to have an easily visible indication of when each BDR is switched on. Does anyone else find that useful or do you all just hide them away?

Comment

• therealfronty
                      Automated Home Guru
                      • May 2021

Just hide them away, you will stop looking at them after a while once the novelty's worn off, then you'll wonder why you didn't hide them away in the first place.

Evohome is one of those systems you just set and forget, once you've done the initial fiddling you will end up just letting it get on with it's thing, apart from the odd override or tweak to a schedule.

Comment

• haggis999
                        Automated Home Sr Member
                        • Feb 2019

I already suspected that might be the case. However, I decided this morning that installation convenience was also a factor. It is much easier for me to mount the BDRs on the wall outside the airing cupboard, as it is a very cramped space.

As you say, I will probably stop looking at them after a week or two

Comment

• haggis999
                          Automated Home Sr Member
                          • Feb 2019

I've now completed wiring up the Hot Water Kit but I'm having some problems in getting it configured.

Rightly or wrongly, I went into Settings and selected 'System Devices'. This told me that Stored Hot Water was disabled so I took the option to enable this feature. I was then invited to bind the hot water sensor, which I took to mean the CS92 cylinder thermostat. Binding was successful and I was then invited to bind the actuator, which I assumed was the BDR91 associated with hot water. Once again, the binding was successful. That's when the problem arose. I could see no way to return the controller display to anything else except by repeatedly pressing the left arrow key. This took me back to the System Devices page, which still showed Stored Hot Water as disabled.

How do I fix this?

Comment

• lloyd
                            Automated Home Guru
                            • Oct 2020

My memory may be failing me, but I'm sure there was something about having to configure stored hot water before anything else. I don't know if that is the cause of your problem.

Comment

• therealfronty
                              Automated Home Guru
                              • May 2021

When I set up my hot water kit, after binding the BDR91 for hot water it then asked me to bind the second BDR91 for the central heating.

Comment

Working...
                              X