Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing the Evohome Hot Water Kit

Automated Home Guru

Just hide them away, you will stop looking at them after a while once the novelty's worn off, then you'll wonder why you didn't hide them away in the first place.

Evohome is one of those systems you just set and forget, once you've done the initial fiddling you will end up just letting it get on with it's thing, apart from the odd override or tweak to a schedule.

Automated Home Jr Member

I already suspected that might be the case. However, I decided this morning that installation convenience was also a factor. It is much easier for me to mount the BDRs on the wall outside the airing cupboard, as it is a very cramped space.

As you say, I will probably stop looking at them after a week or two

Automated Home Jr Member

I've now completed wiring up the Hot Water Kit but I'm having some problems in getting it configured.

Rightly or wrongly, I went into Settings and selected 'System Devices'. This told me that Stored Hot Water was disabled so I took the option to enable this feature. I was then invited to bind the hot water sensor, which I took to mean the CS92 cylinder thermostat. Binding was successful and I was then invited to bind the actuator, which I assumed was the BDR91 associated with hot water. Once again, the binding was successful. That's when the problem arose. I could see no way to return the controller display to anything else except by repeatedly pressing the left arrow key. This took me back to the System Devices page, which still showed Stored Hot Water as disabled.

How do I fix this?

Automated Home Sr Member

My memory may be failing me, but I'm sure there was something about having to configure stored hot water before anything else. I don't know if that is the cause of your problem.

Automated Home Guru

When I set up my hot water kit, after binding the BDR91 for hot water it then asked me to bind the second BDR91 for the central heating.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by lloyd View Post
    My memory may be failing me, but I'm sure there was something about having to configure stored hot water before anything else. I don't know if that is the cause of your problem.
    I have seen an older thread that makes the same comment, though I've failed to find any reference to this in the Evohome Installation Guide. In the absence of any other guidance I'll have a go at unbinding the heating BDR91 before making another attempt to configure the hot water system.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by therealfronty View Post
    When I set up my hot water kit, after binding the BDR91 for hot water it then asked me to bind the second BDR91 for the central heating.
    Did you configure the hot water kit before making any attempt to bind the heating BDR91?

Automated Home Jr Member

Unbinding the heating BDR91 and then making another attempt to configure the hot water system was successful in subsequently prompting me to bind the heating BDR91 and exiting properly. The Stored Hot Water option is now enabled, but there are now some new problems.

The Hot Water panel on the Evohome controller shows a sandglass icon in place of the boiler temperature. The hot water status icon (in the shape of a cylinder) is neither the red one that indicates the boiler is heating the water nor the blue one that says that water heating is off. Instead, it's an almost solid red icon with a small black area at the top. This icon is not mentioned on Honeywell's online icon list, but perhaps that list is out of date and the current red icon may now be the normal one for saying that the hot water should be heating.

In addition to this, there is a slow flashing red LED on the hot water BDR91.

EDIT: During the above process I had taken care to first unbind both BDR91s but a slow flashing red light apparently indicates that an older binding is still in effect, so I repeated the process. This improved things a bit. The red LED stopped flashing and the boiler temp now appears on the controller screen. When I use the controller to turn on the hot water I get a red hot water status icon but the boiler doesn't turn on. There is also a rather odd unnamed entry on the app that says something is set at 62 degrees, as you can see in the attached photo (this is not visible on the controller).

Manually turning on the hot water by pressing the button on the BDR91 does work - but about 5 minutes it switches off. Can anyone suggest a reason why the controller fails to activate the BDR91 for hot water?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by haggis999; 12th January 2022 at 11:37 PM.

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by haggis999 View Post
    There is also a rather odd unnamed entry on the app that says something is set at 62 degrees, as you can see in the attached photo (this is not visible on the controller).
    I have the same phantom zone - I simply ignore it.

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by haggis999 View Post
    The red LED stopped flashing and the boiler temp now appears on the controller screen. When I use the controller to turn on the hot water I get a red hot water status icon but the boiler doesn't turn on.
    Manually turning on the hot water by pressing the button on the BDR91 does work - but about 5 minutes it switches off. Can anyone suggest a reason why the controller fails to activate the BDR91 for hot water?
    Sounds like a comms or binding fault. Presume you have tried having the controller in close proximity to the BDR91?