• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • haggis999
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Feb 2019

Originally posted by lloyd View Post
    My memory may be failing me, but I'm sure there was something about having to configure stored hot water before anything else. I don't know if that is the cause of your problem.
    I have seen an older thread that makes the same comment, though I've failed to find any reference to this in the Evohome Installation Guide. In the absence of any other guidance I'll have a go at unbinding the heating BDR91 before making another attempt to configure the hot water system.

Comment

• haggis999
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Feb 2019

Originally posted by therealfronty View Post
      When I set up my hot water kit, after binding the BDR91 for hot water it then asked me to bind the second BDR91 for the central heating.
      Did you configure the hot water kit before making any attempt to bind the heating BDR91?

Comment

• haggis999
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Feb 2019

Unbinding the heating BDR91 and then making another attempt to configure the hot water system was successful in subsequently prompting me to bind the heating BDR91 and exiting properly. The Stored Hot Water option is now enabled, but there are now some new problems.

The Hot Water panel on the Evohome controller shows a sandglass icon in place of the boiler temperature. The hot water status icon (in the shape of a cylinder) is neither the red one that indicates the boiler is heating the water nor the blue one that says that water heating is off. Instead, it's an almost solid red icon with a small black area at the top. This icon is not mentioned on Honeywell's online icon list, but perhaps that list is out of date and the current red icon may now be the normal one for saying that the hot water should be heating.

In addition to this, there is a slow flashing red LED on the hot water BDR91.

EDIT: During the above process I had taken care to first unbind both BDR91s but a slow flashing red light apparently indicates that an older binding is still in effect, so I repeated the process. This improved things a bit. The red LED stopped flashing and the boiler temp now appears on the controller screen. When I use the controller to turn on the hot water I get a red hot water status icon but the boiler doesn't turn on. There is also a rather odd unnamed entry on the app that says something is set at 62 degrees, as you can see in the attached photo (this is not visible on the controller).

Manually turning on the hot water by pressing the button on the BDR91 does work - but about 5 minutes it switches off. Can anyone suggest a reason why the controller fails to activate the BDR91 for hot water?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by haggis999; 13 January 2022, 12:37 AM.

Comment

• lloyd
          Automated Home Guru
          • Oct 2020

Originally posted by haggis999 View Post
          There is also a rather odd unnamed entry on the app that says something is set at 62 degrees, as you can see in the attached photo (this is not visible on the controller).
          I have the same phantom zone - I simply ignore it.

Comment

• lloyd
            Automated Home Guru
            • Oct 2020

Originally posted by haggis999 View Post
            The red LED stopped flashing and the boiler temp now appears on the controller screen. When I use the controller to turn on the hot water I get a red hot water status icon but the boiler doesn't turn on.
            Manually turning on the hot water by pressing the button on the BDR91 does work - but about 5 minutes it switches off. Can anyone suggest a reason why the controller fails to activate the BDR91 for hot water?
            Sounds like a comms or binding fault. Presume you have tried having the controller in close proximity to the BDR91?

Comment

• haggis999
              Automated Home Sr Member
              • Feb 2019

When I went to bed last night, the system was behaving as described in the edit to my last post, i.e. the hot water BDR91 seemed reluctant to turn on as per the schedule and if actuated manually would turn off again after 5 mins.

This morning, there was a warning message on the controller about a comms problem, but this seems to have fixed itself, as everything appears to be running normally. The hot water now heats up to my specified limit of 60 degrees, after which its BDR91 turns off and allows the heating BDR91 to turn on.

If this happy state of affairs continues then my only remaining irritation is the app's phantom zone, which has a target temp of 62 degrees but shows '--' where other zones display the zone name and actual temp. This looks like an app bug. Does everyone else also see this on the app?
              Last edited by haggis999; 13 January 2022, 09:43 AM.

Comment

• lloyd
                Automated Home Guru
                • Oct 2020

Seems like contacting Honeywell, or removing your system in the portal and re-adding may sort this:

Comment

• haggis999
                  Automated Home Sr Member
                  • Feb 2019

Originally posted by lloyd View Post
                  Seems like contacting Honeywell, or removing your system in the portal and re-adding may sort this:

https://www.wordpress-1219309-438749...hlight=phantom
                  Thanks for that. I've now emailed Honeywell about my phantom zone problem.

My hope that all else was now working correctly has proved to be over optimistic. When I closed the comms error message that appeared on the controller this morning it then displayed the normal zone status summary, which looked OK. I assumed that the error was a historical issue, as the system appeared to be working. However, I had missed a small red warning triangle in the hot water section of that display. Tapping that section displayed the same comms warning I had seen earlier:
                  COMMS FAULT
                  HEATING VALVE
                  ACTUATOR

It seemed a little odd that the hot water system should generate an error with the 'Heating' actuator, but the System Summary shows that the error was actually with the 'Hot water' actuator, as you would expect.

Despite this, both the hot water and the heating still seem to be switching on and off in line with my schedules. An RF check also shows that communication with both of my BDR91s is 'excellent'.
                  Last edited by haggis999; 14 January 2022, 12:09 AM.

Comment

• haggis999
                    Automated Home Sr Member
                    • Feb 2019

My problems are now fixed. The Honeywell support rep deleted my phantom zone from the app. He also advised me to clear the Fault Logbook within Settings and that removed the comms error icon from the hot water status.

All now seems to be well. Thanks to all here who have made a contribution to helping me understand how the Evohome system works. It is much appreciated

Comment

Working...
                    X