• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Karam
    Automated Home Legend
    • Mar 2005

IDRATEK join the blue light society :-)

For those who may have been missed out of our mailing list - By this I mean of course that we have finally started on the journey of creating our own radio based products. IOTA (IDRANet Over The Air), starts out with some offerings based on a WiFi carrier. Not top of my personal list of choices but as with most things there are pros and cons..

It hasn't been so easy for us to go down this line. As I'm sure most of our followers are aware, preserving the integration structure and capabilities can be more important than the urge just to create yet another remote controlled switch. Anyhow we'll no doubt find out the hard way how well this will pan out...

And so it is that we took a much longer anticipated diversion to initailly create a gateway module to the main network structure and a complementary bridging module to allow radio linking of sub sections such that they are still handleable by Cortex as if on the primary network and also that Reflex operations can work across the radio links.

Singular WiFi based modules that have been sitting on a back burner should hopefully start making their way out soon and there will probably also be forthcoming some interesting possibilities for a wider audience.

Some details of the new modules can be found in the catalogue page of our website but you can also contact me for any further information. Most of our existing customers will by now have received a promotional e-mail with a sales discount for this week but if you were missed out I apologise, and in fact anyone can make use of this if they wish - just get in touch with me directly.
    Last edited by Karam; 24 January 2022, 11:36 PM.
  • Paul_B
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2006

Now, this sounds exciting. I know you've been looking at WiFi for a while and robustness has always been the number one priority for Idratek so it will be interesting to see how these devices work. I've been playing of late with Shelly products for the very reason they are easier to retrofit as they support WiFi (plus they give me power usage at the appliance level) however in an attempt to make them discrete the WiFi signal becomes a real issue.

Paul

Comment

• Karam
      Automated Home Legend
      • Mar 2005

In fact I have some museum pieces of experiments with radio solutions dating back to probably around 2002... Always been one niggle or another, but I guess eventually (understatement) you have to accept the compromises and start somewhere. As I mentioned above, WiFi has its pros and cons. It is of course globally ubiquitous and it seems that there is the added attraction of potentially not requiring an additional 'hub' device - depending on the overall scheme of course.

As for the signal I guess one of the useful factors in the pattress box modules is that the transceiver is in front of the back box rather than inside it. Also, for all that you can use your existing home router, the IDRATEK scheme doesn't need an internet connection other than for when you might want to do a firmware update. So you can use a different, perhaps more appropriately located, router for the IOTA WiFi network. In fact probably better for latency issues.

That being said I'm pretty sure we'll also be adding MQTT into the mix fairly soon so there should be even further flexibility on how some devices are used, WiFi then having added sense.

Comment

Working...
      X