• Show
Clear All
  • bmcomp
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Dec 2004

IR splitters & converting IR 3.5 Jack to Cat5e

Hi,
    2 questions!!

1) I am using the scion system to send AV around my house over CAT5e. The Scion has two IR outputs for control of the equipment in Node0. I was wondering if its possible to get a IR splitter that splits into more than two IR emitters? I'm looking for at least a 3 way one? Or maybe would a blaster be a better option? Any sujestions?

2) The scion uses a scart connection very like Keiths KAT5 modules. I am using one to transmit to my projecter but i would like to move the IR eye to over the projector screen. I was thinking of getting a 3.5 jack(if thats what is called!) to rj45 then rj45 to the eye if possible. Or instructions on how to make them?? Can i just cut the cable connect each cable (how? just use connectors?) in the IR lead to the cat5 then do the same on the other end?

Thanks
    Brian
  • katman
    • Jan 2004

Re: IR splitters & converting IR 3.5 Jack to Cat5e

Originally posted by bmcomp
    Hi,
    2 questions!!

1) I am using the scion system to send AV around my house over CAT5e. The Scion has two IR outputs for control of the equipment in Node0. I was wondering if its possible to get a IR splitter that splits into more than two IR emitters? I'm looking for at least a 3 way one? Or maybe would a blaster be a better option? Any sujestions?
    dont know if I should answer because you are using Scion

Take a look at Frank McAlindens FirM range of products. I am sure that Frank can solve the problem for you.

2) The scion uses a scart connection very like Keiths KAT5 modules. I am using one to transmit to my projecter but i would like to move the IR eye to over the projector screen. I was thinking of getting a 3.5 jack(if thats what is called!) to rj45 then rj45 to the eye if possible. Or instructions on how to make them?? Can i just cut the cable connect each cable (how? just use connectors?) in the IR lead to the cat5 then do the same on the other end?
    The easiest way is to get a CAT5 patch cord and chop it in half.

Connect a 3.5mm jack plug to one cut end. Connect a 3.5mm jack socket to the other cut end, ensuring that you use the same colour wires.

The power for the sensor and the IR data will most likely be on the tip and ring of the plug but no guarantee as to which is which. The body of the plug will almost certainly be 0V (unless they have followed the Xantech method where the body is 12V!)

I would suggest using the following colour code

Tip = BLUE/White
    Ring = ORANGE/White
    Body = WHITE/Blue AND WHITE/Orange

That way the power and data are both on proper twisted pairs and it should offer some noise immunity.

Hope that helps

Keith
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

• phillson
      Automated Home Lurker
      • May 2005

Speakercraft IR solutions are what you need.

Call for details
      www.phillson.co.uk

Comment

• FrankMcAlinden
        Automated Home Guru
        • Feb 2004

Hi Brian

Have a look at my FirM Jr ...might be what your after...

HTH
        Frank
        Home of FirM - the Multi Zone IR Transport System
        http://www.armaghelectrical.com.au/index.html

Comment

• bmcomp
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Dec 2004

Hi guys,

I did have a look at the Firm Jr before i posted the question but for just getting one IR reciever across the room I don't think it's worth purchasing the Firm Jr system. So might just have a go at chopping a few cables!

Keith I would have used Kat5 but the wait for the magical switcher just took to long!! hehehe So went with Scion. You don't know by and chance if your modules will work with the Scion Pro 6000? If i get one i'll give it a go and let you know.

The scion just uses a simple 3.5 jack to dual emitter for control of the equipment, it couldn't be much different that any other system. I just can't find one that splits into 3 or more emitters! Looks like maybe the IR spitter that Frank has might do the job?

Thanks for the input guys
          Brian

Comment

Working...
          X