• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • edhodges1984
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Sep 2018

Evohome and Opentherm

Hi all,
    I have searched through the threads and there is loads on Opentherm but I can’t seem to find my answer.
    I have a system boiler with evohome + hot water kit. I wanted to look at getting Opentherm but confused as to what the Opentherm relay replaces.
    So I buy the Opentherm and hook up to boiler, does this replace the CH BDR or the DWH BDR or both?
    Just need some clarification on this matter and there are many experts here who will invariably know the answer.
    Thanks
  • G4RHL
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jan 2015

I can’t answer all of your query in the sense that my boiler is a condensing boiler providing heating and hot water. No system tank. I installed the Opentherm Bridge in February last year after the boiler was replaced. The Opentherm Bridge takes the place of the BDR relay used for central heating. I imagine it would not be much use for heating domestic hot water and for that, if I had that system, I would retain the BDR. With CH the Bridge works very well. It plus the new boiler keep the CH nicely balanced.

Comment

• edhodges1984
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Sep 2018

Thanks I did think that was the case. I didn’t clarify, I do have a condensing boiler but it’s a system not a combi, I have a tank for HW.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jul 2014

The OT replaces the Boiler Relay. I.e. the box responsible for firing your boiler up. It responds to either CH or DHW demand. But you will need a separate DHW BDR91 to open the valve to the HW tank on DHW demand.

Comment

• Stevedh
          Automated Home Guru
          • Mar 2017

Note though, as you probably already know, it will also be connected to different contacts inside the boiler so its not just a matter of swapping it with the relay box.

Comment

Working...
          X