Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Combi boiler works best with Evohome?

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    . He's looking into Intergas for me (who also happen to be local to us being near Worcester) and will find out about warranty if not done by an 'approved' installer.
    You might find this link useful: https://www.intergasheating.co.uk/ap...tions-2018.pdf No mention of needing an approved installer (and I've read similar in other forums). I've also read that with some models you get a longer warranty if you buy their mag filter.

Automated Home Legend

With my installation I got a slightly better guarantee using their approved installer but I don’t look on that as crucial. Again there was an extended guarantee if I used their mag filter. I didn’t because then it was much more expensive than others. Now the price of the filter has come down. I believe the Intergas filter sits nicely under the boiler. Mine doesn’t but protrudes a little. Check the prices. I don’t know why Intergas think it is necessary to use their approved installer for surely the installation is the same for any boiler or not much different. Having used an approved installer his knowledge on the subject was no more than knowing where to connect the pipes. Mines due for annual service this week. I am using a serviceman I have used for years. He is the one who many years ago recommended Intergas. Sadly he doesn’t instal now but only services.

Automated Home Legend

Interesting, my installer is happy with his experiences with Worcs/Bosch (and uses it in his own home) and has had problems with Baxi. He's no experience of Intergas.

What makes you say what you do about Intergas or Viessman?
    The only reason I said Baxi was their boilers are OK, and they work well with Opentherm. The new 600/800 series are good little boilers, and i'd have one in my own home.

I don't mind Worcester. Their after service is very good, but they do have a lot of plastic parts that under the incorrect condition do fail. But again, they want you to use the eBus system and their controls for any type of system load scaling.

Viessmanns after service is very poor I believe, parts are difficult to get hold of as they get older. I think Intergas is even worse for their after service. But this is what I hear, not from experience. I've never been a fan of the design of the Intergas boilers.

Automated Home Legend

Just had my Intergas serviced. The chap who did it, my usual service man, has had several years experience with many boilers including Intergas. He is the one who many years ago suggested Intergas when we came to replace. A couple of years ago he was not so keen on Intergas. Problems had developed, mainly with the seal, flames could escape around the right hand edge. This was several years ago. Initially he said Intergas did not want to know. Would not accept there was a problem. It took some time before there was some acknowledgement. To be fair he has found similar attitudes from other manufacturers. He became unhappy at being told parts should be replaced in some which did not need replacing and where things had gone wrong it was suggested to be over use. After sales support is an issue with many companies but it seems Intergas had a rough time of it a few years ago. I am guessing but possibly it was after the original owner of Intergas sold the company out and a new broom may have tried to cut corners. That passage was a few years ago he told me it caused some in his trade to avoid Intergas. Not because of the boilers but the support.

He was though extremely impressed with my boiler. He could see changes in it from previous models and I think mine, an Intergas Extreme 36, post dates those earlier issues, and it seems they have taken on board the prior problems. What impressed him even further is he found it running at 99% efficiency. Something he does not often see. Hopefully, he has gone back with renewed enthusiasm for Intergas but you can see how easily a reputation can be lost and the time it takes to get it back. Many companies these days try to avoid accepting there are problems with a product or support instead of facing them immediately and resolving them. It only then gets worse. A bit like the Civil Service today.

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    My mains pressure was about 5.5 bar. Reducing it to 3 bar was not enough. It was difficult to get the showers at a decent temperature. Around 2 to 2.5 seems best. I said nothing to my wife but upped it to 3 bar the other day. I got a comment “why does the shower seem colder?”!
    Yes, I think I misunderstood the first discussion. His suggestion is 2.5 bar.

Automated Home Guru

I now have quotes for a new combi boiler from the guy who installed my Evohome system. He normally recommends Worcester/Bosch due the guarantee and excellent after sales support. He has no experience with Intergas but is happy to quote and install one. The actual quotes for a W/B Greenstar 8000 35 kw and an Intergas extreme 36 are within £30, so there's no price difference. The W/B has a 10 year guarantee and the Intergas a 7 year warranty. The installer believes that there's a difference between a guarantee and a warranty but I'm not sure how much different there would be in practice.

I'm leaning towards the Intergas, due to the better integration with Evohome, but the extra three years guarantee, past good experience with W/B, plus the recommendation of the installer is making me waver. Can anyone help me make up my mind?

Automated Home Legend

I now have quotes for a new combi boiler from the guy who installed my Evohome system. He normally recommends Worcester/Bosch due the guarantee and excellent after sales support. He has no experience with Intergas but is happy to quote and install one. The actual quotes for a W/B Greenstar 8000 35 kw and an Intergas extreme 36 are within £30, so there's no price difference. The W/B has a 10 year guarantee and the Intergas a 7 year warranty. The installer believes that there's a difference between a guarantee and a warranty but I'm not sure how much different there would be in practice.

I'm leaning towards the Intergas, due to the better integration with Evohome, but the extra three years guarantee, past good experience with W/B, plus the recommendation of the installer is making me waver. Can anyone help me make up my mind?
    I am going to say Intergas all the way. From what I understand, a better boiler in many ways. Service people get more call outs with WB, it has plastic parts that fail. No problems with my Intergas. I think any decent central heating installer should have no problem. I would not be impressed by being told of extended warranties or guarantees. In my experience they don’t offer much other than a sales pitch and can be limited in what they cover. I pay no heed to them no matter what I am buying. I expect a product to work and to do so for a reasonable length of time. I would always say never let the sales pitch of extra guarantee years sway you. It’s the quality of the product that is important. My Intergas has had its first service. No issues, an impressed serviceman who found it 99% efficient.

Automated Home Jr Member

Thanks for all the replies. We went for a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 8,000 Life. It's been in for three weeks now and seems to be working well.
    Reading through the manual, it appears to have sophisticated controls and the ability to modulate. I haven't been able to fully assess consumption yet.
    It has a 12 year warranty providing it's serviced annually.

Automated Home Guru

Well, my Intergas Xtreme 36 has just been installed. I’m waiting for the full documentation to be returned after it’s been registered, and then I’ll hopefully find out how to set things up. I had a quick look through the installation manual while the boiler was being installed and there seemed to be a lot of references to Opentherm thermostats - I’m not sure how that relates to the Eveohome Opentherm bridge. Maybe all will become clear..

Automated Home Legend

My Intergas 36 was installed in February 2021. No problems and last check showed it was running at 99% efficiency. The Opentherm Bridge sits between the Evohome Control panel and the boiler. No other controls needed. It is hard wired to the boiler and paired to the Control Panel instead of the BDR. The manual tells you where to wire it and the wiring diagram makes it clearer. It replaces any other thermostat wired in. The Bridge seems to learn what is needed and ensures the boiler runs when it should.

Your installer may have set the flow temperature at 70 but if not I found that the optimum. Mostly anything higher is not worth it and the boiler, as with other condensing boilers, may not condense at its optimum level. The CH power setting I set at 6.4 kw. The lowest you can get for this boiler. It is quite possible your installer left this setting at the default which I think is around 19kW. This is unnecessarily high. I have read that in more than 90+% of cases these two settings are set too high which results in a big drop in efficiency.

My gas consumption has dropped. I wish the cost of it did!
    Last edited by G4RHL; 30th June 2022 at 05:33 AM.