• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard_L_James
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • May 2004

New "freeware" X10 software under development

Hi,

After trying Active Home, HomeSeer and many other Linux/DOS/Windows X10 apps I was unable to find the X10 control software that I felt would meet my own demanding needs. Consequently I eventually gave up searching and am now developing my own X10 software from scratch.

Although I have access to several interfaces including CM11U (PC), XM10U (TW523) + TWSERIAL. I am currently focusing on the TWSERIAL setup first for the simple reason that I needed an application which met my needs now and I didn't want to spend time understanding the CM11U.

My X10 application is being developed to be cross platform: DOS/Win32 and most likely Linux. In brief this is what I have developed so far:
    • + X10 packet sniffer capability with reception of all X10 house/unit codes
      + Verbose/non-verbose debug output on X10 packet sniffer
      + Coloured output to allow distance reading (e.g. red = off, green = on)
      + Basic support for transmission of multiple different X10 housecodes
      + Basic support for X10 code remapping, e.g if A1 received then retransmit as P2
      + Support for shelling applications on X10 codes, e.g. email client, scripts
      + Support for external/internal relay controllers via IO or BUS ports
      + Proper installation/removal software

In addition to the above I have also previously written an automation tool for Ericsson mobile phones which I am thinking about merging into this X10 tool and then adding new code for Nokia for my own purposes.

Reply to this message if the above sounds of interest as I will be happy to start to share a version of my software once I have cleaned it up a bit more added some basic documentation. I need some beta testers! :-)

P.S I am planning to attend UK Home Automation 2004 with a friend or two
    http://www.wimborne.org/richard/
  • Otto-Mate
    Founder
    • Jan 2004

Re: New "freeware" X10 software under development

Hi Richard

All sounds very interesting. Have you looked at the xAP and xPL sites?

Do you have a website?

Thanks

M.
    Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
    www.twitter.com/ottomate
    www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• Richard_L_James
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • May 2004

Hi,

Regarding xAP and xPL - a brief look, both seem fairly straight forward. I will admit up front to being new to home automation however I tend to learn fairly quickly....

As for a website - yes: http://www.wimborne.org/richard/

Regards Richard

Comment

• Richard_L_James
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • May 2004

Just a quick update. I have just taken delivery of some more X10 equipment to help test my software. This has enabled me to carry out some debug tests to valid the X10 input/output - working as expected.

Just to set expectations - I am aiming to write a tool which actions X10 commands quickly, reliably and importantly will work on any old hardware without much in the way of overheads. I was taught to program by implementing functionality first and then to make something look pretty later. So expect something that will look dated from the start but aims to do what it says it will.

Comment

• JoeHunter
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Dec 2004

I'm always interested in other examples of software such as this. I now have the new ActiveHome Pro unit (CM15A) and having some problems with it that I will post in anothed thread.

But FYI, I noticed that they have a software development kit available for this unit now to help anyone wishing to write their own software.

Joe Hunter

Comment

• yoshi
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Mar 2005

Just out of intrest Richard, where in the UK did you rorder your x10 devices from?

Also have you taken a look at http://w3.misterhouse.com:81/

Comment

• Richard_L_James
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • May 2004

Hi all I am still slowly working on this. The first public release will be ready when it's ready whenever that is. The current status is as follows:

Firstly I have completely rewritten my original program in low level assembler. Why? Because I can and because I wanted to! Assembler is not exactly the programming language of choice for 99% of people (your be surprised how much assembler is still used!) but as I have said in the past I wanted to develop an X10 package that would be able to run on just any PC (from a 8086 up to the latest kit) and operate quickly / reliably.

Bottom line - I now have an X10 library with X10 under DOS with Win32/PE (underway). A Linux port will come later but for now is just being designed into the development cycle. The versions are evolving together but with a focus on Win32. I also plan to provide some form of support for X10 without an operating system at all since for some reason some of my X10 code fits into a lot less than 512 bytes. This has enabled me to run a test X10 program from a bootsector. X10 in a PXE boot anyone? :-)

For those of you who program - My main X10 program is now a DOS/Win32 hybrid program with different entry points/references into exactly the same shared code/data - that's how reused the code/data is between versions! Effectively stubs to common code!

The downside is that presently what I have been writing only works with the TWSERIAL package ( http://www.laser.com/ ) but once I'm happy with my X10 library it will simply be a case only adding routines for a new input/output device and definately NOT rewriting the X10 package again!!! To help avoid disappointments now - "this package won't be the package for everyone" but for others with unusual X10 requirements like myself you may find that this does something you wished other packages could do.

I am about to move house but once that is out of the way I might finally have something to share sometime within a few months.

Thanks for your interest.

Richard

Comment

• bwired
                Automated Home Lurker
                • Mar 2006

Hi All
                I had the same idea and developed a X10, A10 home control system.
                You can have a look at www.bwired.nl and then menu HOW.
                Its still heavy on development and not yet for releasing. Im figuring out what to with it in the future. It works great for now, much better then Homeseer. It supports now 1-wire, cm11 and more....the application is now supporting my complete home and website.... check my site. Any ideas are welcome. hope to see some other systems as well in the future.
                btw I am now building a driver for the Xanura CTX35 (x10 A10) controller.

regards
                Pieter
                www.bwired.nl
                Domotica home automation realtime online in the netherlands. using X10, A10, Xanura and wireless devices. Streaming Mobotix and AXIS Webcams and camera's, Harrison electrische gordijnrail

Comment

• treehouse
                  Automated Home Lurker
                  • Sep 2006

Hey,

I've written a Java App, using Jesse Petersons' X10 API, as well as Allen Martins' amTapi and amWave OCX's, along with Weather feeds from The Weather Channel and weather.com. It supports X10 Video Cameras, Pen Cameras or any Video For Windows capture device. Speech Recognition provided by CloudGarden JSAPI. I am currently adding INSTEON capability. The package is ready for 'prime-time' but I am need of qualified beta testers. If you're interested visit www.edtreehouse.com for more information.

Let me know your thoughts.

ed clark 8)

Comment

Working...
                  X