Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ZWave woes

Automated Home Lurker

Default Re: ZWave woes

Perhaps its worth a look at cbus wireless.

Remotes are optional, there are no central controllers, any unit can put the network into "Learn" for basic commissioning, you can link it to wired cbus, you can do more complex commissioning from a PC (which is optional).

And improvements in function and capability are coming.

Automated Home Lurker

Malcolm

Do you use quickblow fuses on your appliances to protect your triacs?

I have had to replace several lights with integral dimmers because the bulb 'blowing' has shorted the triac, since swapping the plug fuse for a 20mm glass quickblow fuse I've had no further problems, the bulb now takes out the fuse.

The 20mm fuse is smaller than a standard mains plug fuse but will fit, 1A should be sufficient.

Regards
    Gary

It's interesting to see how many others are having the same problems as me. I use Z-Wave via Homeseer. To say that it's unreliable would be an understatement. It's come to the point where I am now buying X10 again over Z-Wave.

Homeseer looses connection to the USB interface every couple of days and the only way to get it back is by rebooting the server. I've had two lamp modules blow, and the remote control is basic at best. Don't even get me started on module development.

It's not cheap to get into Z-Wave and at this point I'm wishing I never bothered.

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    It's interesting to see how many others are having the same problems as me. I use Z-Wave via Homeseer. To say that it's unreliable would be an understatement. It's come to the point where I am now buying X10 again over Z-Wave.

Homeseer looses connection to the USB interface every couple of days and the only way to get it back is by rebooting the server. I've had two lamp modules blow, and the remote control is basic at best. Don't even get me started on module development.

It's not cheap to get into Z-Wave and at this point I'm wishing I never bothered.
    I have a limited z-wave setup, but found I was getting exactly the same usb reboot symptoms, I found 2 solutions to the problem

1) Go into control panel->system->hardware delete the z-wave usb interface, then rescan for hardware.

2) Using a powered hub to connect the usb interface - run like this I've only rebooted once since Christmas.

mike

Quote Originally Posted by mbuckhurst View Post
    I have a limited z-wave setup, but found I was getting exactly the same usb reboot symptoms, I found 2 solutions to the problem

2) Using a powered hub to connect the usb interface - run like this I've only rebooted once since Christmas.

mike

Ohh that's interesting. I'll give that a try ! Thanks for the tip