• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FullBore
    Automated Home Guru
    • Jan 2016

Total Connect Application & Servers down - AGAIN

I think it was a couple of weeks ago that I started a new thread with a similar title.

I am on my way home and want to turn the heating on, but can't. The message on the app. says "Technical Difficulties" and refers to https://status.resideo.com/

heating down.jpg

Surely Resideo should follow common practice, and ensure that there is NO SINGLE POINT OF FAILURE.

I recommended EvoHome to Family, Friends & Neighbours and over the last couple of years have become increasingly embarrassed.

NJSS
    Last edited by FullBore; 31 March 2022, 07:56 AM.
  • FullBore
    Automated Home Guru
    • Jan 2016

Back up again now.

It appears to have been down between c. 05:15 GMT/06:15 BST this morning until about 07:30 GMT/08:30 BST - a little over two hours but really not good enough.

NJSS

Comment

• CT1
      Automated Home Guru
      • Apr 2016

We used to get notification of planned server outages, but I have not seen one for the last couple of years. May be a coincidence but, I think things have gone down hill a bit since Resideo was spun off by Honeywell.

At least, unlike some other smart systems, the basic EvoHome functions do not rely on the servers. I have had to abandon a couple of systems because the manufacturer has decided to remove support or ceased trading.

Comment

• therealfronty
        Automated Home Guru
        • May 2021

Originally posted by CT1 View Post
        At least, unlike some other smart systems, the basic EvoHome functions do not rely on the servers. I have had to abandon a couple of systems because the manufacturer has decided to remove support or ceased trading.
        When I was looking at smart heating controls this was the main reason I chose Evohome.

I did not want the system to be reliant on internet connectivity to do even the most basic of tasks - I also didn't want to be beholden to an app, why on earth should I be forced to use my phone to turn the heating up or down. The system had to be easy enough for my wife to use, having a dedicated panel on the wall is exactly what I needed, no ferreting about trying to find the phone and then unlocking it, finding the app, logging in and then finding the service is down. She can just walk up to the Evotouch panel and poke it with a finger. Simples.

Happy Wife = Happy Life

Comment

• RedEarth
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Jan 2021

Originally posted by therealfronty View Post
          When I was looking at smart heating controls this was the main reason I chose Evohome.

I did not want the system to be reliant on internet connectivity to do even the most basic of tasks - I also didn't want to be beholden to an app, why on earth should I be forced to use my phone to turn the heating up or down. The system had to be easy enough for my wife to use, having a dedicated panel on the wall is exactly what I needed, no ferreting about trying to find the phone and then unlocking it, finding the app, logging in and then finding the service is down. She can just walk up to the Evotouch panel and poke it with a finger. Simples.

Happy Wife = Happy Life
          I totally agree, the app is a nice-to-have and while I find it easier to setup and adjust the heating schedules on the app, it's not the end of the world if I have to do it on the touchscreen when the servers are down. If I want to adjust the room temperatures on-the-fly, I've got 5 ways of doing so, - HR92's, main control panel, Domoticz (locally via SSM), Honeywell App, Google Home app - only the latter 2 of these rely on the web API.

I think the day I RELY on a mobile phone app for warmth would be the day I realise I've made some poor life choices...

Comment

• CT1
            Automated Home Guru
            • Apr 2016

Same for me, I use the app to setup or amend schedules and the Evotouch for most everything else. The app can also be useful if we are away for an indeterminate period and want to put the heating back on an hour before we get home. This usually works fine and there has only been one occasion, over several years, when the servers were down and I had to wait until we got home before switching the heating back on. Not a big deal, except I was trying to demonstrate the advantages of EvoHome to friends at the time. ��

PS. Anyone know why smilies don’t work for me? Perhaps the forum has a sense of humour detector and considers my effort inadequate?
            Last edited by CT1; 2 April 2022, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X