Thread: Starting to see some energy savings/benefits - I think!

Automated Home Guru

Default Starting to see some energy savings/benefits - I think!

I'll admit I'm a bit of a nerd. So over the past few years I have been graphing my leccy and gas usage.

I installed Evohome last Spring then spent a little while getting HR92's and the HW kit installed, did it all step by step, so really had everything ready for the onset of winter.

Now with my energy provider going bust last year I lost track a little of my meter readings (so Sep/Oct/Nov 2021 figures are averages), but since December I have been keeping on top of it all and the result of my graphing over the past few months does seem to indicate a reduction in consumption. February and March are definitely showing quite a big drop compared to previous years, but I don't know if it's due to Evohome or having a mild winter, I guess over the next few years I'll have a bit more data to go by. Is anyone else graphing their consumption?

I don't have a smart meter yet, do they do this sort of thing automatically?

Image 1488.jpg

Automated Home Jr Member

I used to track my readings in a spreadsheet and create graphs, although mine weren't as detailed as yours because I was just using the quarterly readings from the bills. However they did show some step-change savings which corresponded to replacing the boiler, getting rid of the old electric shower etc.
    Since I've had the smart meters I've been using Domoticz to track the half-hourly/daily readings with a couple scripts that use this site to get my data: https://data.n3rgy.com/consumer/home

graphs.jpg

Very hard to tell whether Evohome has made a difference to gas usage because I installed it in the autumn of 2020 which also happened to be the start of the first winter where I was working at home (initially due to the pandemic, but now permanent). This 'lifestyle change' was the reason behind installing it, so that I could just heat the rooms I was using at different times of the day, so I'd like to think that's made a difference!

Automated Home Guru

While I am sure EvoHome has given us some savings on gas, I doubt that it is enough to cover the cost of the system in a well insulated property. The big benefit of EvoHome for us is the increase in comfort and control. Well worth the cost.

Automated Home Guru

This months figures are in, showing about 1kwh drop for April compared to the previous two years...

Image 1633.jpg

Automated Home Legend

I keep a spreadsheet of each month’s usage - kWhs and cost. I used less energy in 2021 than I did in 2020 partly due to my increasing loft insulation to 300mm in January 2021 and replacing my old boiler with a new Intergas combi plus Opentherm. Evohome was installed in December 2014. This year to date I have used less in kWhs than the same period last year (January to April) but not sure why although it did seem last year that a few months after installing the Opentherm Bridge consumption was better so assume the system has learned the house. My supplier is Shell and it can produce daily readings, indeed every 30 minutes I believe. Whilst usage has dropped the cost has gone up.

I don’t normally use the smart display as it was erratic before with my previous supplier but plugged it in the other day and it seems to be working better. I do notice that my hourly cost is now up. With nothing switched on other than two fridges, two freezers and my TV in standby I notice the cost is 4p to 5p per hour. Every bulb is a Philips Hue bulb and a number of Hue smart switches are used. I am trying to find out from Philips what sort of drain they have when in standby mode. The TV, fridges and freezers will be most of that 5p per hour.

Domoticz. I notice a number here use it. Will it run on a PC or a MAC? Is it easy to configure?

Automated Home Guru

I suppose if you really wanted to know if itís helping, you could remove all the HR92ís for a week or two, and have evohome run as if itís just an ordinary thermostat, with only the main unit measuring temperature. I keep meaning to do this.