• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mark8par
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jan 2018

Evohome Stored Hot Water

Just wondering how other Evohome users setup stored hot water. Do you have it set to permanently on so that it just replaces what is used (short bursts) or do you have it set to only come on at certain times of the day? We have a household of 4 adult and I am trying to work out which would be the most efficient way of using it.

Thanks
    M
  • bruce_miranda
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2014

I guess this completely depends on the usage of your HW. I doubt there is an ideal setting. The one feature I do love in the Evohome wrt HW is Differential. That allows the water temp to drop by that amount before the boiler is fired. It then avoids the short bursts.

Comment

• G4RHL
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jan 2015

When I had stored hot water (I now have a combi) I had it set to come on for an hour in the morning and an hour at night.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jul 2014

Because I have the ability to raise the Flow temperature when heating the HW cylinder, I used to time the HW recharge to when the house was the coldest I.e. First thing in the morning and then around early evening, when the rooms are heating up again from their day time set backs. This way the rooms can also benefit from the raised Flow temperature without me having to worry about HW priority. In the sunny months my HW is heated with the solar panels, so its less of an issue.

Comment

• benwillcox
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Apr 2020

I used to have my hot water storage just heat for an hour or so every night and morning, until someone questioned why you would ever want your system set so that you could feasibly run out of hot water when you need it.

With a modern well insulated cylinder the heat loss is pretty low, so now I have it timed to be on from early morning until late in the evening. It only fires up when needed, so if it needs it, I let it!
          It then just doesn't run at night to save cycling the boiler in the night if the temperature did happen to drop below the threshold, which it probably wouldn't anyway.

Comment

• G4RHL
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jan 2015

An hour each end of the day was always fine for me and we never ran out of hot water.

Comment

• mark8par
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Jan 2018

Thanks for the tips everyone. ����

Comment

• mark8par
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Jan 2018

Thats not a bad idea i set it up last night and will see how it goes. One thing i did notice in the morning when i checked my smart meter is that even though the central heating was switched off and the hot water had not been on over night the smart meter still showed some gas usage, which i find odd.

Cheers

Comment

• timgp
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Oct 2017

Also interested. We have pressurised cylinder and have the EvoHome temp sensor connected to it. The read frequency seems slow. Any recommended settings for timings, differentials etc?

Comment

Working...
                  X