• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrBoy
    Automated Home Guru
    • May 2017

Fed up with Evohome setting overrides by itself

I have mentioned this before, but tonight I happened to notice 3 of my zones had been overridden to 20C until noon... So almost 12 hours. These are all rooms with closed doors because we rarely use them.

I dread to think how much it's costing me with current energy prices to heat half my old house all night. How often is it doing this I wonder without anyone noticing?

It's been suggested before this might be due to communication glitches but this is crazy behaviour. The hub thinks the override came from somewhere. Wish there was a way to see detailed logs where it was... Rogue Alexa/IFTTT action, firmware fault, etc.

It's there any point trying to report a problem to Honeywell or is this product range dead in the water?
  • Billywizzo
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Nov 2020

It has been mentioned that low batteries can cause this to happen, I have had it happen when one went into override and battery replacement fixed it even though it was saying the battery charge was good.
    Mine only caused itself to go into override but others have posted about one with low batteries affecting others for some reason
    Might be worth changing the batteries in the ones that went into override as it could be any of them causing it.
    Any time I have contacted support they have been more than helpful so if the batteries don’t sort it try them

Comment

• MrBoy
      Automated Home Guru
      • May 2017

Thanks for that.

It just seems a fundamental bug/flaw though if a TRV can generate an override. I can sort of understand it defaulting to some temperature if it can't communicate with the hub - though it should surely simply remain at the current temperature until told otherwise - but for it to override the central hub is downright wrong. OK it's unlikely to be a safety issue, but there are reasons you might keep a room at a specific temperature. A heating system is not the space shuttle, it's not life or death, but neither is it like your smart speaker where it's annoying if it won't play the song you want; it matters that you can rely on it to fail sensibly not do something random.
      If I got a notification when an override was set, this would make it manageable - the issue is it happens silently. Makes me more inclined to try and hack the setup (I'm a software developer) - I'm not sure if those projects are still live

Comment

• RedEarth
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Jan 2021

Originally posted by MrBoy View Post
        Thanks for that.

It just seems a fundamental bug/flaw though if a TRV can generate an override.
        TRV's generating an override signal is standard Evohome functionality, that's what the dial on the top of the TRV is for. I suspect what's happened is that your TRV has erroneously generated some kind of radio message (possibly due to low batteries?) that the hub has interpreted as a genuine override signal. You can disable local overrides on each zone in the installer menu on the hub (Zone Configuration > select the zone > Parameters > local override), I don't know whether it would solve your issue but it might be worth a try.

Comment

• MrBoy
          Automated Home Guru
          • May 2017

Originally posted by RedEarth View Post
          TRV's generating an override signal is standard Evohome functionality, that's what the dial on the top of the TRV is for. I suspect what's happened is that your TRV has erroneously generated some kind of radio message (possibly due to low batteries?) that the hub has interpreted as a genuine override signal. You can disable local overrides on each zone in the installer menu on the hub (Zone Configuration > select the zone > Parameters > local override), I don't know whether it would solve your issue but it might be worth a try.
          Yes sorry I should have said "It just seems a fundamental bug/flaw though if a TRV can generate an override on their own". Setting it by mechanical intervention is of course a designed feature but there should be no way that specific signal could be sent accidentally. It smacks of a coding bug to me.

I knew you could lock local override on the TRV itself (the first question is often "are you sure it wasn't just your cat/child playing with it") but not that you could do it on the hub - that could be a very useful thing to try, either as a fix or to help diagnose further. Thanks very much.

Comment

• radar2016
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Mar 2016

Perhaps I should have started a new thread, but the heading fits my problem, which is my unit keeps resetting to AWAY at times when I expect the heating to come on. I would usually have heating off by now but I am trying to find out why this happens before next winter. I have tried to find a pattern in this, but it appears to be totally random, I have no idea on which day this might happen.

I have CUSTOM set to come on 6.30am at 19.5 degrees, what happens and has been for the last 2 or more months is that some mornings it comes on, other times it defaults to AWAY and stays on AWAY until I manualy reset it back to CUSTOM

Comment

Working...
            X