• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sxturbo
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Apr 2022

Evohome no longer providing outside temps

My evohome stopped updating the outside temps around 3 months ago.

I've had a play around with various things and no luck.

I've then done a factory reset, and it's screwed the whole system.

The bdr relay only works intermittently meaning that at least 50% of the time it calls for hot water it's actually running the central heating.

I've reset it and rebound it a few times and no luck. I've. Even had my installer round who's checked various things and is stumped.

We are pretty certain it's a software glitch, but it's been fine for 2 years.

I've also noticed that I'm not on the latest firmware according to Honeywell. They say the latest is 19.33 and I'm on 17.33.

I'll have to call resideo on Monday and see if they can force through an update if not looks like I'm in for a new controller which brings me to my next gripe

Are Honeywell being serious with their prices of late, I'm seriously considering switching to the wiser system but the chap who installed my boiler and evohome is a bit reticent about changing to something he doesn't know. He knows all the settings the evohome and intergas needs to work optimally and says he would have to spend considerable time getting it all set up.. so that's a discussion for another day

If anyone can offer any fixes for the issues I'm seeing would be most helpful.
  • G4RHL
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jan 2015

I would stick with Evohome if you can. Evohome, OpenTherm and Intergas work well together.

It may be you need to go through the tedious process of wiping everything and starting afresh to ensure any gremlins are cleared out. As you have hot water as part of the system remember when you start to bind again to set up domestic hot water first before anything else. 8 years ago I learned that the hard way! At the the time Richard from the Evohome Shop posted good advice on setting up in this forum which was excellent. Better than the Honeywell Manual.

I changed my boiler last year to an Intergas combi so no more hot water issues. The usual one was the sensor not connecting. That has been much written about elsewhere in this forum.

Comment

• sxturbo
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Apr 2022

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
      I would stick with Evohome if you can. Evohome, OpenTherm and Intergas work well together.

It may be you need to go through the tedious process of wiping everything and starting afresh to ensure any gremlins are cleared out. As you have hot water as part of the system remember when you start to bind again to set up domestic hot water first before anything else. 8 years ago I learned that the hard way! At the the time Richard from the Evohome Shop posted good advice on setting up in this forum which was excellent. Better than the Honeywell Manual.

I changed my boiler last year to an Intergas combi so no more hot water issues. The usual one was the sensor not connecting. That has been much written about elsewhere in this forum.
      Thanks,

Had I not had a Honeywell installer, who also spent the morning on the phone to other Honeywell installers, and the system been reset at least a dozen times, we are still no further forward.

Unfortunately the installer van is broken and he arrived in his car, and so didn't have a spare bdr91 to try and rule that out. However seeing as the outside temperature function isn't working and it's been playing up since that feature suddenly disappeared for whatever reason we are inclined to think it's the software of the unit,

Other than removing the batteries and and pressing the factory reset button is there any their way of forcing the unit to reset?

Comment

• sxturbo
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Apr 2022

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post

, is there a links to this set up guide?

The next steps I'm on my own with otherwise I've got to get the evohome guy to do it for a days labour.

Comment

• G4RHL
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jan 2015

I can’t find the original and if Richard is reading these pages he may repost. What he wrote is the same as the manual but it is clearer and easier to follow. If doing a fresh reset, it does not need a paid installer to do, just remember to clear/delete everything. I think removing power from the control panel and taking the batteries, leaving it a for a few minutes, will do a reset on the panel. Then, as mentioned, start with pairing the controls for hot water before anything else.

Comment

• sxturbo
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Apr 2022

Thanks,

I've just had confirmation from Honeywell they have updated my firmware, so when I get home will see if it's made any difference.

I've also bought a new unit, so if the firmware doesn't work, I'll try swapping the units

Comment

• sxturbo
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Apr 2022

New unit installed, working as it should, except I still don't have any outside temperature displaying on the screen.

It's annoying as I have ifttt's set up for the warmer weather which now don't work meaning I have to manually adjust my schedules.

I've sent a tech support request to resideo will await their response unless anyone on here can help

Comment

• G4RHL
                Automated Home Legend
                • Jan 2015

Originally posted by sxturbo View Post
                New unit installed, working as it should, except I still don't have any outside temperature displaying on the screen.

It's annoying as I have ifttt's set up for the warmer weather which now don't work meaning I have to manually adjust my schedules.

I've sent a tech support request to resideo will await their response unless anyone on here can help
                I am not convinced about the advantages of having the outside temperature controlling anything. It shows in my app and usually when I access it, it is about 1C out. I don’t intended to configure it as a form of control. There can be occasions when the outside temperature may be seen to cause the system not to fire up but it remains cool inside the house. Generally I find it better to leave the system alone. If the house temperature goes up because of the outside temperature having an affect then the system will shut off. It is not on unnecessarily so. With the days becoming warmer there are many occasions when the heating does not come on as it does not need to but no need to change schedules. certainly not in my case with Evohome and OpenTherm installed.

Comment

• sxturbo
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Apr 2022

I see what your saying, but I find the outside ambient temperature makes quite a difference.

Say it's 18 outside the heating I find doesn't need to come on to the 20 degrees it's usually set to. So I have it set to if it's 18 or higher outside the heating is to be switched off. Throughout the summer months I found this worked excellently last year.

Comment

• G4RHL
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by sxturbo View Post
                    I see what your saying, but I find the outside ambient temperature makes quite a difference.

Say it's 18 outside the heating I find doesn't need to come on to the 20 degrees it's usually set to. So I have it set to if it's 18 or higher outside the heating is to be switched off. Throughout the summer months I found this worked excellently last year.
                    Perhaps I am a little more fortunate. Generally when my heating is off, say during the night, room temperatures drop but still remain between 5C and 15C above the outside temperature. Much depends on the time of the year. I live in the NE. This morning a room which we never heat, the TRV is set to 10C, was showing 17C yet outside it was 9.5C. The room faces North. I thus find it better to leave the settings alone. As I write that same room currently shows it is 19C. Outside it is 13C. When away from home in winter months and the heating is off, I have seen the temperature in the house overall drop to 10C when the outside temperature is at 0C or less. I suppose if I was away longer it may drop further. In my case setting the weather compensation would probably create chaos.

Then we have the humidity factor which affects the conception of heat and one can feel cold when it isn’t. My wife says it’s cold when yesterday she wasn’t but the temperature is the same! She says she is hot and wants the heating turned down when again the temperature is the as yesterday’s. A battle I can’t win!

I think the best advice for Evohome users is once you have settings you are happy with, leave it alone and stop playing.

Comment

• sxturbo
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Apr 2022

Yeah absolutely, I hadn't touched it for 2 years, only reason we touched it was because it stopped working as it should

Comment

• kevinsmart
                        Automated Home Ninja
                        • Sep 2018

Are your Location Information settings correct in your Honeywell Home app?

Comment

• sxturbo
                          Automated Home Jr Member
                          • Apr 2022

Originally posted by kevinsmart View Post
                          Are your Location Information settings correct in your Honeywell Home app?
                          Yes definitely, have made another Honeywell account and tried it and still not worked.

It was working for 2 years, then randomly it got stuck at 3 degrees since January, then after the stat started playing up and the factory reset etc it never came back.

Then I had the ghost zone so deleted the evohome from the original Honeywell account, changed accounts all sorted, but still no outside temp display. Switched back to the original account ghost gone but still no outside temp.

The weather within the app works perfectly fine,

Comment

• kevinsmart
                            Automated Home Ninja
                            • Sep 2018

Does your postcode work in Accuweather?

Apparently that’s the service used by the controller, but the App uses a different service.

Comment

• sxturbo
                              Automated Home Jr Member
                              • Apr 2022

Yeah postcode works in that.

Honeywell have tried resetting things at there end and I've changed the postcode to centre of nearest large town and still no difference

Comment

Working...
                              X