Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Evohome no longer providing outside temps

Automated Home Jr Member

Tried the above no luck.

I'm switching supplier at end of month so will see what happens

Automated Home Jr Member

Just to confirm, switched broadband supplier and now all working as it should.

There is something wrong with Vodafone routers and the ability of evohome to talk to accu weather.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sxturbo View Post
    Just to confirm, switched broadband supplier and now all working as it should.

There is something wrong with Vodafone routers and the ability of evohome to talk to accu weather.
    I have in the past often had problems with broadband supplier’s routers. Stopped when I added a modem and third party gear with a mesh system. Since November last I have had full fibre using the supplier’s modem box. No problems.

Automated Home Legend

I have always used my own routers. But now with FTTP, the phone line is VOIP and Vodaphone won't give out the VOIP details. So currently am stuck with using the Vodafone router, as without it we won't have a landline!

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    I have always used my own routers. But now with FTTP, the phone line is VOIP and Vodaphone won't give out the VOIP details. So currently am stuck with using the Vodafone router, as without it we won't have a landline!
    Do away with the landline. We did a few years ago and just use mobile phones. Saves the cost of the landline. The cost of the mobiles is just under £14 per month for two £6.95 each) giving 10gb per month data each, free calls, free texts etc. calls at home can go via WiFi anyway. Often to family in Australia.

Automated Home Legend

With Vodafone the landline is free. Doesn't cost us anything and we've had the same number forever. We keep our mobile phones downstairs overnight, so in a real emergency the landline is what will be used. Besides, we stay in a mobile phone dead zone, so the landline is the only reliable thing available.

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    Do away with the landline. We did a few years ago and just use mobile phones. Saves the cost of the landline. The cost of the mobiles is just under £14 per month for two £6.95 each) giving 10gb per month data each, free calls, free texts etc. calls at home can go via WiFi anyway. Often to family in Australia.
    Would be nice, if we had any mobile coverage. At least with the old fashioned landline we can still use the phone in a power cut - until, that is, the landlines are taken away.

Automated Home Legend

I take the point. I am spoilt I suppose not needing the landline. Broadband costs me £20 pm with 500 MPs and each mobile is £6.95. There may be difficulties ahead for you and bruce_miranda when the landlines go. Is it 2025? But then the line may exist but connect using VOIP.

Automated Home Jr Member

Yes, the ability to connect a conventional PSTN phone directly to the phone line will be discontinued, but you'll still be able to connect it to a port on the router which will effectively turn it into a VoIP phone. Sounds like Bruce already has this setup with Vodafone?

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RedEarth View Post
    Yes, the ability to connect a conventional PSTN phone directly to the phone line will be discontinued, but you'll still be able to connect it to a port on the router which will effectively turn it into a VoIP phone. Sounds like Bruce already has this setup with Vodafone?
    Sounds like it. It has been this way for businesses for some time now. A friend found it useful during lockdowns or when staff had to isolate. He unplugged and handed to them one of the phones for they to use at home. No set up required, just plugged it in to the router and it automatically connected. His contract is up for renewal with BT. They needed to update the software in all his phones. Told him he would be offline for a bit. He objected as the phones are needed all the time. “Ok,” they said, “Instead of updating the phones we will supply brand new up to date phones.” No cost to him and they told him to keep the old phones for they will just bin them. Not even updating and sell them on!