• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alanmh
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Dec 2005

Battery life of motion sensors

Hi

I have set up a couple of motion sensors (I have one at the top of the stairs to put the light on after dark, and one in the kitchen when i am away that the cat sets of to create "random" light switching to deter burglars).
    I am very pleased with their performance, however after a few weeks, the battery is showing signs that it is running down.

The real question is -

Is there a permanent power option for motion sensing? or shall I home brew a psu for them?
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Re: Battery life of motion sensors

The batteries should last at least six months. I use lithium batteries from Energiser. These last at least two to three times longer than their alkaline counterparts. Don't use rechargeables, I used some for testing and they lasted about 5 weeks. There is no reason why you can't hack the motion sensors so they are powered from a 3v PSU. IF you can't get the energiser lithiums then the Varta photo range of Alkalines are pretty good. For the wireless alarms I install I use the GP make of Alkalines or the Varta photo range. The GPs can be hard to find.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
    X