• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jhbr28164
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jan 2006

central heating wont turn on main flame

Hi guys I hope someone can help, my central heating has stopped working. rather old Living Luxury wall mounted boiler that does central heating and heats the hot water tank. The pilot light is on. BUT the boiler will not light up. the system is all now cold, even when I turn the thermostat inside the boiler to off and then back to 2-3 there are all the normal noises from the gas valve the pump is running but no main boiler flame. I know ...call an engineer but is there something I can check first
    cheers
  • kundrik
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jul 2005

Re: central heating wont turn on main flame

I don't know that boiler but my first guess would be "If you have the pilot but not the main flame then the gas is not flowing into the burner". There are only 2 things which can cause that.
    1) Gas valve not working
    2) Gas valve not switched on
    If you can check that valve gets the command to open but there is still no flame than it must be the valve.

Just another thought: I just remembered I had similar problem few years ago and it was the pilot detector not working properly. Gas valve will not open if it can't sense pilot alight. I called out an engineer who replaced it and worked no problem ever since.

Comment

• jhbr28164
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Jan 2006

Re: central heating wont turn on main flame

hi there kundrik,
      absolutely on the button info!!!!!.
      Checked that the valve was getting command to open all seemed ok had a look at the thermocouple it was pretty much burned out at the end but was somehow functioning enough to keep the pilot light on but based on your suggestion I replaced it with a new one the system fired up!!!

cheers and many thanks john

Comment

Working...
      X