• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stoop_uk
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jun 2005

Storing your media

Hi folks... it's been a while since I've been here, but since my last visit, I have:
    • built my Node 0
    • got a couple of X10 bits and bobs (and will expand that this year)
    • stuck lots of Cat5 in the kitchen and run it back to Node 0
    • built a Media Center 2005 machine connect to my TV

My question is this:

How do you store all your music/photos/videos? Do you keep it all on one server at Node 0 with huge amounts of storage? If so, have you ripped your DVDs/CDs, etc?

Cheers.
    Stewart
    Stewart Priest
    Twitter :: Blog
  • BigDutch
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Aug 2004

Re: Storing your media

yes - large storage in mode zero

CloneDVD to rip DVD's then My Movies plugin for MCE
    Exact Audio Copy to rips CD's then point My Music in MCE to shared folder on server.

Build the "Media-Server" which is effectively basic board with PCI slots, copy of Win XP Pro and multiple PCI 2-channel SATA cards and 300/500Gb hard-discs for storage. Get discs as and when you need them

approx 60 full quality DVD per 300Gb disk.

No way to backup so much media but having so much "at your fingertips" around the house - awesome.

Something like this :

Comment

• stoop_uk
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Jun 2005

That's kind of what I'm doing right now:

My Node 0
      Stewart Priest
      Twitter :: Blog

Comment

• danward79
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Jul 2004

I keep all my DVD's and music on a 1.75 Tb raid 5 array on my server, which is running perminantly in my study near what is becomming my node 0
        Cheers

Dan

Comment

• toscal
          • Oct 2005

I built my own NAS server. Cost about 80 euros for the 80GB HD, $44.00 for the server suite (they do cheaper versions) and an old AMD 400Mhz PC I had lying arround. I intend to add more storage once I've finished completeing my Node 0 cabinet and structured wiring layout.
          The software is run from a floppy and the whole system is very quick to build and get running. Would have taken about a couple of hours from start to finish but it took me a lot longer to find a floppy disk.
          The software is available from www.serverelements.com they also do a usb flash version.
          I then use a pinnacle showcenter 1000g to stream the media from the NAS via a wireless G link on my house PC.
          I rip most of my DVDs using either NEODivx or Dr Divx. The showcenter will play DVDs directly but this really needs a wired network connection.
          IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
          X