• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anonymous
    Automated Home Guru
    • Nov 2000

Serial to Ethernet Device Servers

I ran out of the original Lantronix Device servers I offered on the UKHA list a couple of weeks back so I have bought all the last remaining stock my supplier had or will ever have. UKHA members already have about 170 of these so they were popular . This new batch will be a few more than people want for the time being so I should have them available for a while and will probably 'chirp up' from time to time on these as I trip over the boxes.

For those that missed them they are second user but good condition Lantronix MSS100 serial to Ethernet device servers available at £49 + p&p ( this is a private sale, I am not a company ) . These cost about £400 new currently.. Full info is available from here http://www.lantronix.com/products/ds/mss100/index.html. I offer 90 day warranty and will take any units back that don't work in a given (reasonable) application. Network enabling a budgie might not cut the mustard.

What do they do ? - basically they allow you to attach almost any serial device directly to your Ethernet network - allowing you to do away with cabling between the device and your PC and free up a precious serial port on your PC. So your Meteor Caller ID, Comfort Alarm, HomeVision controller or modem/printer becomes network enabled and can be remotely sited literally anywhere - even across the other side of the world if you wanted via the internet. They contain a web (plus ftp/telnet/smtp) server for configuration . Software is available free that allows virtual COM ports to be created in Windows that connect to these devices just as if they were local.

If you wanted you can connect two MSS100's together over the internet to form a virtual serial cable- a 'tunnel' as it's called - what goes in the serial port at one end comes out at the other - and infact one to many connections can be made too for more complex applications, perhaps to distribute Meteor CallerID info to several different applications simultaneously - but the you could use xAP too

I know these sort of things are perpeptually useful so I have a few - and when the need comes up get in touch - many of the initial buyers bought more staright away. There is also a special MSS100 help group set up on Yahoo to help with any problems. I hope to take a box load down to UKHA so you can see them in the flesh there.

Kevin
  • Kevin
    • Jan 2004

Re: Serial to Ethernet Device Servers

Sorry that posted under a guest account - you can contact me as this user for more info.

Comment

• kwatt
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Jan 2004

Kevin can the HV software be made to talk to the correct serial port okay and on to ACE? I'm using HV/ACE with HV on the COM1 port.

If it can be done I'll have one and try it out.

K.
      Sometimes you get the best light from a burning bridge - Don Henley

Comment

• Kevin
        • Jan 2004

Hi Kenneth ,

I don't use ACE connected with HomeVision I'm afraid but doesn't it talk via DDE to the HV application - meaning that ACE and HV have to be on the same machine ? HV can attach to the HV application via a virtual serial port made with a Lantronix MSS100. Therefore teh HV/ACE integration will still work with HV attached via a different virtual port to your physically installed ones - say COM5 or something. Or have missed what you're asking here ? Kevin

Comment

• kwatt
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Jan 2004

Sorry for the delay, been really busy this week. :?

Yes Kevin quite correct ACE does use DDE to talk to HV although if the facilities are there I may well go down the route of using xPL eventually anyway. But there's one wya to find out if it'll work I guess.

K.

Comment

• kwatt
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Jan 2004

Kevin,

Can you PM me your address to send you some money or email me at the usual mailing list address and i'll get it sorted?

Ta.

K.

Comment

• Kevin
              • Jan 2004

If someone has sent me a payment (circa £100) by BACS and I have not acknowledged receipt of that by email could you please private message me with the details so I can match you to your order . The reference used starts "INFO....."

Kevin

Comment

• Kevin
                • Jan 2004

Sorry but I am struggling to identify another payee .

I posted to the MSS100 list but got no repsonse so if you sent me a payment and your sort code is 20-05-57 then please get in touch (private message) so I can send you your order. I need to know the amount you paid and the account code it would have come from...

Kevin

Comment

• frostie
                  Automated Home Lurker
                  • Mar 2004

Kevin,

I would be interested in purchasing one of you mss100 devices... could you email me details for payment etc .. I can do electronic transfer (preferable)..

thanks
                  Neil

Comment

• noiseboy
                    Automated Home Lurker
                    • Nov 2004

Hi Kevin

I would like to purchase one of these devices for a little R&d. Can you get in touch with me and let me know how, assuming of course you still have any.

Cheers

Darren

Comment

• Kevin
                      • Jan 2004

Hi - yes I have units still - I keep finding uses for them - just connected my alarm up this way :-)

They are £49 ea still plus p&p and you could either send me a cheque or preferably wire direct into my account (BACS/Homebanking). You could use Paypal or NoChex but you need to add 4% as that's what they charge me. Let me know and I'll send you the relevant details, I am based in Huddersfield just in case you want to collect - I do accept £ notes or equivalent in beers !

Also you can buy them from Laser Business Systems here..

Shipping is

Qty_____1st rec_____Special Delivery

1_______4.24__________6.20
                      2_______6.02__________6.20
                      3_______8.16__________7.56
                      4______10.29_________19.50 < better to split into two SD shipments !

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                      X