• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSK21
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Feb 2006

X10 DIN Rail dimmers

Hello

A question from the unitiated - how easy is it to install a DIN rail dimmer and where precisely do I indtall it ?

I have read that such a dimmer can be used with two way light switches i.e for my landing light which has both upstairs and downstairs switches.

I understand that I'd need to change the switches themselves for momentary switches but where and how exactly would I connect the DIN rail dimmer module to these two switches ?

Many thanks in advance

RSK
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Re: X10 DIN Rail dimmers

The X10 Din rail dimmers, are intended to fit in to a consumer / fuse box unit type enclosure. These boxes have the din rail needed for tis type to clip onto. It would then mean running wires for the lighting and the switches back to this fuse box.
    You could always use the micro modules such as LW12 In-wall micro module this module doedn't require a neutral. I have one of these installed at home. It replaced a two way switch set up, and it works very well. The other type is the LWM1 this requires a neutral wire and will also transmit its status, which for certain applications is very useful.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• RSK21
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Feb 2006

Tosval

Many tahnks - can you just give me a little more detail on how the in wall micro module works in a two way set up ?

Do I put this in in one of the switches in the two way setup and if so does it matter which one (i.e. up or downstairs) ?

Do I also need to change the type of switch I use for the module to operate ?

Thanks again.

RSK

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

If the micro module is a dimmer version then it will need a momentary switch. If you use and appliance module version then you can use normal light switches.
        I wired my 2 momentary switches in parrallel. The switches I used can take more than one wire, so made it quite an eay job to do.
        Another easier option is to use an LW11 Wall Dimmer. This is a self contained switch unit with an input for another momentary switch. Unfortunately this module does not transmit its status.
        Intellihome is quite a good place to buy X10 from. www.intellihome.be They can supply the plug in modules with a UK style plug.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
        X