• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darkknight
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Dec 2005

Idiots guide to RG59 and 6-core-> CCTV

Hi,

I have a a CCTV camera which I would like hook up to watch over my drive.

I had the house pre-wired with RG59 and 6 conductor cable (from Outside to Node0), but haven't got the foggiest on how best to connect this.

Is it simply a case of RG59 inner cable -> camera video inner plug, RG59 outer cable -> camera video outer plug, 12V DC -> 2 or 4 strands of the 6 core ?

I've scoured around the web but couldn't find anything obvious.

Ideally, anything with visual diagrams/ pictures would be useful.

Please assume I know nothing - BNC and RCA mean nothing to me!

Thanks.
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Re: Idiots guide to RG59 and 6-core-> CCTV

RCA or Phono socket is what you see on the back of your Hi-Fi or sometimes on your TV or Video recorder.
    Here is a photo of some phono/rca plugs http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...ectors&doy=6m2

BNC are bayonet type plugs phoned on Oscilloscopes and some CCTV cameras. Here is a picture of a BNC Plug http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...ia=BNC&doy=6m2
    In theory what you are suggesting sounds OK.
    The RG59 is refered to as Coax or coaxial cable. This would go to the camera and then you could use the 6 core for 12v DC. The more strands (as you call them) you can use the better so unless you need some for something else the three for +12V and the other 3 for ground. I assume each strand is insulated. How many amps does the camera need, have a look on the power supply
    You may need to check what impeadance if any the camera might need.
    I've probably created more questions than I've answered but you can always ask more questions if you don't understand anything.
    Have a look here as well and click on the enclyclopedia link.
    Most people, when they begin to look into CCTV, have little way of knowing where to find expert advice. We created this website to bring together and provide factual information, that can be trusted and easily understood by the man in the street.

Oh and BNC stands for Bayonet-Neill-Concelman - A bayonet-locking connector used to terminate coaxial cables. BNC is also referred to as Bayonet Network Connector.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• darkknight
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Dec 2005

Wow - great information here.
      I normally associated 'B&C' to a Bacardi and Coke ; )

With the power, I assume the power adapter's Ampage needs to map that of the camera ? Is it expected to degrade over a great distance ? (say 30-50ft ?)

Would it be safe to cut off the BNC / RCA connecteor and use electric tape to connect it directly to the the RG59 ? This would avoid the headache of drilling a bigger hole in my outside wall to accomodate the adapters. I wouldn't want the adapters to be hanging out because any intruder could easily to disconnect them.

The same question goes for the power - is it ok to cut it off and manually tie 3 cores to each power strand ?

Also, could the RG59 be used to carry Audio ?

If it helps, my camera spec looks similar to this : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=6034335311

Although this doesn't have Audio as standard, I may wish to upgrade in the future.

Thanks again.

Comment

• darkknight
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Dec 2005

Wow - great information here.
        I normally associated 'B&C' to a Bacardi and Coke ; )

With the power, I assume the power adapter's Ampage needs to map that of the camera ? Is it expected to degrade over a great distance ? (say 30-50ft ?)

Would it be safe to cut off the BNC / RCA connecteor and use electric tape to connect it directly to the the RG59 ? This would avoid the headache of drilling a bigger hole in my outside wall to accomodate the adapters. I wouldn't want the adapters to be hanging out because any intruder could easily to disconnect them.

The same question goes for the power - is it ok to cut it off and manually tie 3 cores to each power strand ?

Also, could the RG59 be used to carry Audio ?

If it helps, my camera spec looks similar to this : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=6034335311

Although this doesn't have Audio as standard, I may wish to upgrade in the future.

Thanks again.

Comment

• toscal
          • Oct 2005

Assuming this camera be used outside. What I have done in the past, and this is onboard research ships, outside in the wet etc. So nice and harsh. Make the connections in the normal way, then use self-amalgamating tape, to cover each connections seperately. Then use something like Scotchkote or similar, (its made by 3M), and paint it over the tape. This will provide a very good weather proof and fairly tamper proof seal. Here is the product sheet http://www.paigewire.com/Specs/3Mscotchkote.html
          I wouldn't cut the connectors, and hard wire it unless you know what your doing. If you don't insulate your coax properly you could end up with major interference which would then spoil your picture.
          To add audio via the original Coax can be done but this would require an extra box of tricks to do this.
          One thing to remeber is when cabling for any job always pull another of the same type through you never know when you need it. (like audio in the future).
          IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
          X