Thread: OT post : Shed - running power and phone

Automated Home Lurker

Default OT post : Shed - running power and phone

Hi all I have been lurking for some time but now need to ask a question.

I appolgise fo rth eoff topic post but felt this was probably the best place for a sensible answer.

I work from home but have recently outgrown my office and I am going to put an office in the Garden.

I will need to run Power and telecoms to the shed and antisipate having to do this underground.

Can someone advise me what I should do here regarding protecting the cables please.

i.e. how deep should they be, Should the cable be armoured or run inside some trunking of some description ?

Any hints, tips etc.... would be greatfully received!!

Thanks

Anbeyon

Default Re: OT post : Shed - running power and phone

If you are in England or Wales you need to bear in mind "Part P" compliance is now a legal requirement. If you plan to do this yourself, you'll need to notify the Building Control in advance and pay their inspection fee. Or you can hire an appropriate electrician who can self-notify. He/She should be able to advise you properly and you may be able to negotiate to do some of the work yourself (eg trenching).

My understanding is that SWA cable can be run above ground clipped to a wall. The telecoms would almost certainly need to be in conduit to protect it.

But there's some sparky's in the community, so you'll hopefully get some better advice !!

-- Gumby

Default Re: OT post : Shed - running power and phone

Just as a side note. Why not run some cat5e or similar (Cat7, Abitana Omni media cable etc) at the same time, and run at least 2. IF you are going to bury cables in the ground always lay twice what you think you are going to need, cable is cheap compared to the extra labour costinvolved in doing it afterwards.
    And follow a similar line of thinking for your power needs. How much will you need for your present needs then what are you going to possibly need in the future.